Ambulances diverted from Causeway Hospital A&E

editorial image
Share this article

AMBULANCES were diverted from the Causeway Hospital in Coleraine for several hours on Monday night, because of an increased pressure at the accident and emergency unit.

In a statement on Tuesday morning, the Northern Health Trust said the diversion of ambulances was lifted at 11pm.

“The public can play a role in helping to ease the burden on busy emergency departments. If you feel your case is an emergency, then you must attend the emergency department. If it is not an emergency, then you should consider seeing your GP out-of-hours service,” said a spokesperson for the Trust,

Speaking on BBC Good Morning Ulster, East Londonderry MP David McClarty said he had been contacted by several worried patients.

“I spoke to a senior member of staff at the hospital who told me there were patients lying on trolleys in A&E and that there was considerable pressure on staff,” he said.

“After being contacted by concerned constituents I spoke to a senior member of staff at the hospital who told me there were patients lying on trolleys in A&E and that there was considerable pressure on staff - who were working way beyond the call of duty.

“They described it to me as being like a third world hospital, the worst they had seen in 20 years in the NHS” he added.