A number of families in Dungiven were evacuated from their homes late on Monday night due to a security alert.
An area of the Ard na Smoll estate in the town was cordoned off after a report a suspect device had been left outside a home.
The man whose home was at the centre of the alert said his partner was at home with their young daughter when a neighbour saw the wheelie bin outside the front door on fire at around 8pm.
Homeowner Gavin Watson said he has no idea why his home was targeted. He said his partner and two-year-old child ‘could have been killed’. He said those behind the attack are ‘sick’.
Another resident said her 90-year-old mother was left very distressed by what happened, and said people in the area are angry.
Residents of Ard Na Smoll are angry at what’s happened. Resident and community activist Hugh Hazlett said those planting bombs need to go away and says it’s ‘unacceptable, unlawful and unwanted’ by people in Dungiven. Mr Hazlett had this message for those responsible: “How dare you disrupt and threaten our community? Please go away before you open a ‘Pandora’s Box’ that won’t be easily closed.”
Sinn Fein councillor Sean McGlinchey was on scene last night as families moved out of their homes, and police held the scene.
“I am absolutely disgusted by this,” said Councillor McGlinchey. “This is the third incident in the last number of weeks. I’m totally disgusted.”