Retired football star Keith Gillespie has been charged with breaching a court-imposed restraining order less than two weeks after it began.
Although he was not at Newtownards Magistrates’ Court, defence solicitor Darren Duncan said he had spoken to the defendant who “gave me the authority to accept the service of papers”.
Gillespie, 39, from Ballycrochan Avenue in Bangor, is charged with breaching a restraining order on June 24 last year by having contact with his ex-partner on High Street in the seaside town.
Along with an order to complete 100 hours of community service, the restraining order was put in place on June 11 when Gillespie admitted multiple breaches of a non-molestation order.
Sentencing him at the time, Deputy District Judge Gerald Trainor told the former Premiership winger “the court stands back from the prospect of custody” given the contents of the pre-sentence probation report.
He had previously heard how Gillespie repeatedly telephoned and texted his ex-partner and even posted a “personal photograph” of her online, leading the former professional footballer to plead guilty to three separate breaches of a court-imposed non-molestation order on dates in December 2013 and January and February last year.
On Wednesday District Judge Mark Hamill adjourned the case for two weeks to January 21.
Gillespie’s former clubs include Manchester United and Newcastle United, and he won 86 caps for Northern Ireland.
Declared legally bankrupt in 2010, Gillespie wrote in his autobiography How Not To Be A Football Millionaire, that he had spent around £7 million as part of a gambling addiction.