Kidnapping was result of ‘lovers’ tiff’, court is told


A Belfast man was jailed on Friday for 12 months for kidnapping his former partner during a “lover’s tiff”.

Steven Fegan (33), of Manor Street in the north of the city, had pleaded guilty at Belfast Crown Court to kidnapping, dangerous driving, possession of a knife, criminal damage and common assault on his former girlfriend.

The court heard Fegan arrived at a tanning salon on the Whiterock Road where his ex-partner was present in July last year “in a distressed state”.

Prosecutor Gareth Purvis told Judge Donna McCoglan: “A friend had told him that she had been dating a close friend of his and this person had been staying with her.

“He went to confront her as she left the tanning salon saying he wanted to speak to her and went to the driver’s side of her car. She didn’t respond and he then kicked the driver’s side window, shattering the glass.”

Mr Purvis told the court that Fegan then pushed her into the passenger seat and he climbed into the driver’s seat and drove off in the direction of the Monagh Bypass.

The judge was told that his former partner was “distressed” that Fegan was carrying a knife, although he had not pointed at her during the course of her ordeal.

The prosecutor added that Fegan then drove at speed through Turf Lodge, mounting the pavement at one point to avoid a car.

Father-of-two Fegan then drove to a street near the Park Centre shopping complex in west Belfast before getting out of the car. His distressed partner then went to a neighbour’s house to report the incident to police.

Mr Purvis told the court that Fegan had a “lengthy criminal record”.

Defence barrister Sean Devine said the incident could be “best described as a lovers’ tiff”, after Fegan had been given “erroneous information” about his former partner.

The barrister said in the past Fegan had been involved in anti-social behaviour which had brought him to the attention of paramilitaries and he had been “targeted for special treatment from them”.

He added that Fegan still lived under threat, ultimately planned to move away from west Belfast, possibly to Spain where he had lived previously.