A west Belfast man who attacked another man with a broken bottle outside a Chinese takeaway has been handed a three-year sentence.
Belfast Crown Court heard that following a “scuffle” outside the food outlet on the Whiterock Road, 21-year-old Edward McCabe used the broken bottle as his victim lay on the ground.
As the victim put his hand up to protect his face and head, he was struck on the hand with the broken bottle, resulting in “surgical intervention”.
McCabe, from Springfield Road, was told by Judge Gordon Kerr QC that he will spend 15 months of his sentence in custody, with the remainder of the sentence on supervised licence upon his release.
A prosecuting barrister said the incident occurred on November 19, 2011, when the injured party was in the takeaway following a night out at a social club.
The prosecutor said he “became aware” of the behaviour of two men outside the eatery, one of whom was McCabe.
Despite being warned by people in his company to stay inside the premises, the injured party went out and “challenged the people outside”.
A scuffle then broke out between the injured party and another man not before the court, and during this the injured man was struck with a broken bottle wielded by McCabe.
The prosecutor told the court the injured party remembered lying on the ground and becoming aware of a broken bottle coming towards his face and head area. He recalled putting his hand up to protect his head, resulting in a wound to his hand.
Defence barrister Martin Morgan asked Judge Gordon Kerr QC to give McCabe credit for his guilty plea, pointing out that the incident was of some vintage and occurred when his client was only 18.
Regarding the incident itself, Mr Morgan said McCabe “intervened in the way he did to his detriment”.
Passing sentence, Judge Kerr told McCabe his behaviour was “totally unacceptable” and said the man he attacked had been “permanently affected ... as a result of the injury you caused”.