Man who injured pub reveller in bottle attack jailed


A Belfast man who attacked a fellow reveller with a broken bottle in a busy city centre pub was on Thursday handed a six-year sentence.

Dominic Smyth, from Clondara Street, will spend three years in prison with the remaining three on supervised licence upon his release following an incident in the Duke of York which left two men injured.

Smyth, 26, injured the men on October 9 last year. One of the victims was left with several facial injuries including a scar to his jaw, while a second man sustained a wound to his wrist.

Following the attack – which was carried out with a broken cider bottle – Smyth was overheard saying of one of his victims: “I offered him outside, he wouldn’t go so I glassed him instead.”

Crown prosecutor Gareth Purvis said on the evening in question last October, Smyth had gone to the Duke of York to meet a friend, who in turn had brought along a third man.

Saying Smyth was seen to act strangely during the course of the evening, Mr Purvis said at some point “some form of disagreement” was sparked between Smyth and the third man – with Smyth later claiming the other man had provoked him.

Mr Purvis said that while it was “not clear” what the two were arguing about, drink had been taken by both men and that things seemed to “fester” between them as the night went on.

Smyth then lifted his bottle of and after it was smashed, “lunged” at the other man several times which resulted in a “number of sights of scarring”.

Another male reveller sitting nearby had noticed the dispute between the men, and when the altercation broke out and the two men started to struggle, he tried to take evasive action as they fell towards his table. He put his hand out to avoid them falling on his table and was cut on the wrist.

Smyth subsequently pleaded guilty to a charge of wounding the first man with intent to do grievous bodily harm, and to a second charge of wounding the second reveller.

Belfast recorder Judge David McFarland said it was clear from witness reports that prior to the attack Smyth was acting in a “bizarre fashion”.

Judge McFarland told Smyth that while it wasn’t clear whether he broke the bottle deliberately or whether it smashed at the start of the attack, it was nonetheless a “repeated attack” and was “not just a single blow”.