Man who stabbed friend to death returned to prison

Tomas Horney
Tomas Horney

An East Timorese man who murdered his best friend after hearing “voices” urging him on, was returned to prison on Friday after being told he must serve at least 10 years of his life sentence before he can be considered for release by the parole commissioners.

Tomas Hornay was being treated in south Belfast’s Shannon Clinic, Northern Ireland’s only secure mental health facility, while awaiting trial for murdering Luis Nazario Ximines in the Woodvale Park house they shared in Dungannon on August 1, 2013.

On Friday Dungannon Court judge Mr Justice Burgess said doctors reported that Hornay could now be safely returned to Maghaberry prison.

In Janaury Hornay was unanimously convicted of murder after the jury rejected defence arguements that at the time he was suffering from diminished responsibility or at least a loss of control after voices told him to kill his friend.

Mr Justice Burgess said that in the weeks before the murder, Hornay felt Mr Ximines insulted his wife after seeing a Facebook photograph of her on a computer.

In the early hours of August 1, 2013, Hornay went to the kitchen to make breakfast, but could not get Mr Ximines out of his mind, although he had no plan to kill him.

But he then decided to do so because “he couldn’t take it any more”, and the voices, or spirits were telling him to do so.

“He put chilli seeds into a glass of water and took the two knives from the kitchen. He went to the bedroom where he threw the water and chilli seeds over the deceased’s face while he was still asleep, the intention being to blind him if he awoke,” added Mr Justice Burgess.

However, Mr Ximines did not get a chance to react and those sharing their room were wakened by screams as Hornay stabbed him a total of eight times in the neck, chest and abdomen, which penetrated his heart, stomach and liver. They also severed his carotid artery, the combination of which caused his rapid death.

Police later recovered two kitchen knives from the blood-splattered bedroom.

Consultant forensic psychiatrist Dr Adrian East, who leads the Shannon Clinic, told his trial that Hornay felt distressed and angered by the insults and in the month before the fatal attack, he’d trouble sleeping, and “spent all night thinking” about Mr Ximines.

On the day of the killing, Hornay told doctors he was getting ready to go to work at the Moy Park factory where they both worked, but became “increasingly angry and began formulating a plan to harm the deceased” because “he couldn’t take it any more”.