The mother of the youngest victim of the Manchester bombing has been taken off life support and told about her daughter’s death.
Eight-year-old Saffie Roussos, from Leyland, Lancashire, was one of the 22 people killed in the terror attack at the Manchester Arena on Monday last week.
She was at the Ariana Grande concert with her mother, Lisa, and older sister, Ashlee Bromwich, who is in her 20s, who were both taken to hospital.
Mrs Roussos was reportedly in a critical condition initially and on a life support machine.
In a post on Facebook group Leyland Memories, family friend Mike Swanny said Mrs Roussos was now awake, out of surgery and “aware of the situation”.
He praised the bravery of Mrs Roussos and Saffie’s father, Andrew.
He said: “I am very proud of the strength that Lisa and Andrew have as a couple their bravery though (sic) this is commendable.”
He added: “Now they can start to deal and rebuild their lives, I hope this news will make everyone smile as this is the best news we’ve had through this tragedy.”
Mr Swanny told the Lancashire Evening Post: “Lisa’s pulling through.
“She was in a critical condition at first, but she came off life support on Saturday and was up and talking on Sunday. She’s aware of the situation with Saffie.
“She’s still in hospital, but she’s moving her legs, which is fantastic.”
He told the newspaper Miss Bromwich was also recovering and is expected to be discharged from hospital this week.
Greater Manchester Police confirmed that 10 men, aged between 18 and 44, remained in custody on suspicion of offences contrary to the Terrorism Act.
Six people - including a 15-year-old boy, a 34-year-old woman and four men - have been released without charge after being arrested by officers investigating the attack.
Earlier this week, police released further details about terrorist Salman Abedi, 22, including that he had bought most of the key component parts of the suicide bomb in the few days before the attack.
Many of his movements and actions in the four days after his return to the UK from Libya leading up to the May 22 atrocity were also carried out alone but detectives have not ruled out that he was part of “a wider network”.