Restrictions on Belfast republican parade after ‘offensive’ behaviour

Republican marchers take part in a 'anti-internment' parade through Belfast city centre last year
Republican marchers take part in a 'anti-internment' parade through Belfast city centre last year

A republican parade through Belfast city centre next Sunday has had restrictions placed on it due to the “offensive” behaviour and chanting of those taking part last year.

Despite the organisers of the ‘anti internment parade’ - from north to west Belfast via Royal Avenue - assuring the Parades Commission it would be well-marshalled, the commission has said it will create a “high potential” for public disorder.

Last year, loyalists not connected to the notified protests exchanged insults with those in the parade and missiles were thrown by both sides.

In its determination on the August 9 event, the commission has directed that all involved must be clear of the Divis Street/Millfield junction by 1.30pm and should refrain from provocative actions. The commission said: “The behaviour of the parade participants last year has been represented to the commission as offensive.”

Counter demonstrations for Belfast city centre have been organised by loyalists.