Tragic Oisin McGrath’s death will ‘give life to others’

Oisin McGrath
Oisin McGrath

The organs of a teenage schoolboy who died following an incident at his school in Fermanagh on Monday will give life to others, his mother has said.

Oisin McGrath was taken to hospital on Monday where he remained on life support until his death was announced last night.

St Michael's College, Enniskillen

St Michael's College, Enniskillen

The 13-year-old from Belcoo was injured at St Michael’s College, Enniskillen while playing at lunchtime, a statement from the school confirmed.

A 17-year-old boy, a sixth former at the school, was detained following the incident but later released on bail pending further inquiries.

In a statement released on Wednesday, St Michael’s said: “A group of students were playing at lunchtime when one student became unwell and we sought medical assistance. He was taken by ambulance to the South West Acute Hospital for medical help.”

Oisin was later transferred to the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast.

His parish priest, Fr Seamus Quinn, told Q Radio yesterday that Oisin’s mother Sharon said his organs would be made available for donation.

Fr Quinn said: “They have decided to donate Oisin’s organs to somebody else in the hope that his passing will give life to others, which I think brings it home - really hits in the gut - when I hear that about a 13-year-old boy.

“Wonderful for somebody else but really tragic and devastating for the McGrath family.”

Fr Quinn added: “She was very grateful for the [community] support”.

The priest said a special service was held in the parish to enable people to show their concern.

“This was the first that people had heard and the atmosphere was terrible. There were a lot of sad eyes and a lots of crying.”

Fr Quinn had earlier described Oisin as a “typical 13-year-old lad” who loved sport and who played for Belcoo O’Rahilly’s GAA team.

“He’s big, strong, happy, a lad of fond of sports, into all sorts, football, running, and everything like that and a good-natured friendly young fella,” he said.

A PSNI spokesman offered his sympathy to the McGrath family, and said: “Enquiries are ongoing to establish the circumstances surrounding the death of Oisin, and I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed this incident, or who has any information, to contact detectives at Enniskillen PSNI on 101.”

A post mortem examination will be carried out to determine the cause of death.