Turkish man facing murder trial over Eamonn Magee stab death

Orhan Koca was the former partner of Eamon Magee Jnr's girlfriend, a previous court was told
Orhan Koca was the former partner of Eamon Magee Jnr's girlfriend, a previous court was told

A Turkish man accused of stabbing a boxer to death is to be prosecuted for murder, a judge has heard.

A prosecuting lawyer told Lisburn Magistrates’ Court the PPS intended to proceed with a murder charge against 33-year-old Orhan Koca.

Koca, originally from Turkey but now of no fixed address, is in custody charged with the murder of Eamonn Magee Jnr on May 30.

Previous courts have heard that on May 30 at 2.38am the police were called to Summerhill Park in west Belfast, where they found Mr Magee lying in the road and bleeding heavily from stab wounds.

“Inquiries quickly established that he had been at the home of his girlfriend Miss Courtney Ward and at 2am they ordered a pizza,” explained the prosecution.

“Shortly after 2.30am Mr Magee left the house by the rear exit and his girlfriend then heard screaming outside. When she left the house she saw two men standing over Mr Magee trying to help him.”

The lawyer outlined how Miss Ward was the estranged partner of the defendant, and that she had commenced a relationship with the victim whose father is former world boxing champion Eamonn Magee.

“The defendant had been stalking her, mainly via social media, and advising her to stop seeing her boyfriend,” continued the prosecution.

Koca was interviewed by the police on 17 occasions following his arrest and repeatedly denied murdering Mr Magee.

The court also heard that jeans, covered in Mr Magee’s blood, had been recovered from Beckett’s Bar, where the defendant both worked and stayed, and that the jeans were found close to items of clothing belonging to Koca.

In court on Monday the prosecution told District Judge Rosie Watters that a date for committal proceedings, referring the case upwards to the Crown Court, could now be set.

Remanding Koca back into custody, the judge listed the preliminary enquiry for January 25 next year and said she would review the case on December 21.