Crowdfunder to help NI family 'left with nothing' after devastating house fire

A fundraising campaign has been launched to help a Londonderry family who have lost everything in a devastating house fire.

Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 8:22 pm
Updated Wednesday, 29th November 2017, 8:34 pm
The aftermath in the kitchen where the fire is said to have started

Chris and Patricia Clarke have been rehoused in temporary accommodation after spending the weekend in a B&B after their Waterside home was destroyed by fire last week.

A crowdfunding campaign has been set up to help the family in their hour of need.

Patricia said they are very grateful to family and friends who have rallied round to help, but they have been left with nothing.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

“It’s been a nightmare,” she said. “The fire started in the kitchen and the firemen said it seems to have been the washing machine that started it.

“I was in the house with my son Kevin at the time, and we were lucky to get out alive. The smoke could easily have got us both.

“But we have been left with nothing except for what we have been given by neighbours.

“I also like to thank Helping the Homeless Strabane who sorted us out with clothes and toiletries over the weekend.”

The family have been temporarily rehoused in the Cityside and say they will have to wait for Housing Executive accommodation to become available.

“We have always been a close family but I don’t even know if we will all be able to be together at Christmas this year,” Patricia said.

Friend Caitlin Kelly helped set up the funding campaign. She said: “I know its very close to Christmas but I would like to ask anyone to help with a massive favour. A family which is very close, has been in a house fire on Thursday, November 23 and have lost every piece of contents in their home.

“All donations greatly appreciated.”

Anyone who would like to help can do so at: https://www.justgiving.com/crowdfunding/caitlin-kelly?utm_id=107