The chief executive of Dublin City Council yesterday said that it was the decision of Garth Brooks and Aiken Promotions not to stage the three permitted shows – and they “must accept the consequences”.
Appearing before the Joint Committee on Transport and Communications in Dublin, Owen Keegan said: “I very much regret the decision of Garth Brooks/Aiken Promotions not to hold the three permitted concerts and to examine options proposed by the city council in relation to the two concerts that were not permitted.
“This was their decision and they must accept the consequences.”
Mr Keegan said that an application for the licence was first submitted by Aiken Promotions on April 17 and that the promoters were told that there were serious concerns about how the concerts would affect local residents.
Families living close to Croke Park have told of how the area becomes “locked down” during major concerts.
Mr Keegan informed the committee that the decision by the council to grant licences to three concerts was “appropriate, balanced and reasonable”.
He said he “would not change it if I could”.
Earlier this month, the country star said having to choose which shows to do and which shows not to do “would be like asking to choose one child over another”.
He later appealed for Taoiseach Enda Kenny to intervene to resolve the dispute and offered to “crawl, swim or fly” to Ireland to meet him.
Today, representatives from the GAA and Aiken Promotions are scheduled to appear before the Joint Committee on Transport and Communications at 11am.