Libya-IRA inquiry is hailed by GB victim

Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, pictured in 2009
Colonel Muammar Gaddafi, pictured in 2009

A victim of the IRA’s London docklands bombing has joined a chorus of voices welcoming news that an official inquiry will be launched into obtaining compensation from Libya.

The News Letter broke the story on Wednesday that Westminster’s Northern Ireland Affairs Committee is to begin its two-week inquiry this September.

The inquiry will ask for victims’ testimony about their current circumstances, and will also question government figures about the effectiveness of obtaining Libyan cash to be used as compensation.

The now-dead dictator of Libya Colonel Gaddafi had supplied weapons and explosives to the IRA during the Troubles.

Jonathan Ganesh, a security guard who was buried beneath rubble when the IRA bombed London in 1996, said: “I think we have been badly let down by consecutive UK governments, which is appalling as the victims desperately need help.

“I hope this inquiry can finally arrive at the truth of why the government seems to have been so indifferent to the suffering of their own victims.”

Matthew Jury, managing partner of law firm McCue and Partners LLP, which said it had been pressing for the inquiry to take place, said “we sincerely hope the inquiry probes deeply, provides the necessary answers that the victims deserve”.

Long-time loyalist victims’ campaigner Willie Frazer said he has “always made it clear that this is not about money, but about justice”.

Even if compensation if not obtainable, he said victims should still know “who visited Libya, who was trained in Libya, who from the IRA set up these deals”.