A memorial stone has been unveiled at Warrenpoint in Co Down to mark the exodus of people from the town on famine ship ‘The Lady Caroline’ in the wake of the Famine.
Sunday’s ceremony came the day after the National Famine Commemoration had been held in Northern Ireland for the first time.
A minute’s silence was held in Newry for the millions of people who left Ireland when the potato crop failed between 1845 and 1851.
Over those years the Irish population fell by almost two million.
Emigration continued to plague the Irish nation for decades to come and by the time of the 1911 census it had dropped to 4.4 million, some 4.1 million less than it had been at the outbreak of the famine.