Orange parade set to pass scene of alleged attack on priest is cancelled

An Orange parade, due to take place in Glasgow on Saturday, has been cancelled.

Thursday, 19th July 2018, 8:00 pm
Updated Thursday, 19th July 2018, 9:18 pm
An Orange parade in Glasgow has been cancelled (archive pic)

The parade was due to pass the scene of an alleged sectarian attack on a priest during a similar event held on July 7.

Police Scotland are investigating claims Canon Tom White was spat on as an Orange parade passed St Alphonsus church in the city’s east end.

Glasgow City Council confirmed the march would not go ahead following a meeting with the organisers.

Sign up to our daily newsletter

The i newsletter cut through the noise

The Orange Lodge said the decision would allow time for further discussions.

Police were called after reports Canon Tom White was spat on, struck with a baton and verbally abused outside the church, near the Barras market, as the parade passed by.

In a statement on Facebook, the Archdiocese of Glasgow said that both Canon White and his parishioners had been “subjected to vile abuse”.

Orange Lodge leaders insisted that the attack was nothing to do with the parade and none of its members was responsible.

The alleged incident sparked calls for a ban on Orange marches or a change of route away from the church.

Council leader Susan Aitken ordered Orange Lodge leaders to take responsibility for anti-Catholic behaviour occurring at their parades and warned organisers that if it did not voluntarily change the route of parades, the council would “insist”.

A meeting took place between the council and the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland on Wednesday.

Following discussions, a council spokeswoman said: “Council officers had a productive meeting with the organisers.

“We will continue to engage with both the organisers and the church community - but have agreed that the planned procession will not take place on Saturday.”

A spokesman from the Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland said: “We welcome the opportunity to continue positive dialogue with Glasgow City Council, the police, and other stakeholders regarding future parades.

“We should be looking forward, not back, and our lodges therefore took the decision to postpone the parade due to take place this Saturday, therefore allowing some additional time over those discussions which would give everyone the opportunity to look at matters from a fresh, forward thinking perspective.

“The Grand Orange Lodge of Scotland fully supports this decision.”

Police Scotland continue to investigate the reports the July 7 incident.

This article first appeared on our sister site, The Scotsman.