Pair trapped in attic of blaze house given ‘fire survival advice’ by operator

editorial image

Two people trapped in the attic of a mid-terrace property which was ablaze were given ‘fire surivival guidance’ by an operator as fire appliances raced to the scene.

The fire, at Magdala Street in the Holy land area of Belfast was reported around 10.30pm on Saturday evening.

The first call was made by a male occupant trapped in a third floor attic room with another female. The Regional Control Centre Fire Control Operator provided Fire Survival Guidance to the distressed occupants until Fire crews arrived.

Appliances from Central and Cadogan Fire Stations arrived within four minutes.

They commenced firefighting operations on the fire in the kitchen which had caused extensive smoke logging throughout the property.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus were able to rescue the two trapped occupants and lead them to safety. Three other occupants had managed to self-rescue from the property shortly before the crews arrived.

The British Red Cross Fire and Emergency Support Service also attended the incident, providing practical and emotional support to the occupants and assisted with rehousing.

A Fire and Rescue Service spokesperson said: “The fire was caused by a chip pan left unattended. The property did have a smoke alarm system, however, it did not operate and alert the occupants. Thankfully, on this occasion, the fire was discovered by another male who had returned to the property and raised the alarm. He suffered burns to his hand trying to extinguish the blaze.

Thanks to the excellent advice given by Control staff and the fast response by the Fire Service, these people were able to be rescued from this accidental fire. Chip pans should never be left unattended and Northern Ireland Fire & Rescue Service would like to remind the public of the importance of having a working smoke alarm.”