Students moving out of home may need TV license

Students watching television
Students watching television

TV Licensing is encouraging Northern Ireland students moving away from home to study to check whether they will need a TV Licence.

According to new research published by TV Licensing students moved an average of 91 miles to study at university or college.

The research comes as new students prepare to ‘fly the nest’ for the first time this month and move into student accommodation.

TV Licensing is now encouraging Ulster students to check to see if they need to buy a licence.

Mark Sterling, spokesperson for TV Licensing, said: “August is a really exciting time for many students going to university or college as they’ve got big changes ahead – especially those moving to a different part of the country. In the rush to get many tasks done, it is easy to overlook things like arranging your TV Licence.

“So we are encouraging students to think about it sooner rather than later, just so they can check it off the to-do list and focus on relishing in the student lifestyle.”

Mark Bell, President of University of Ulster Students’ Union, added: “Many first year students will be moving out of home for the first time, starting a new adventure at university. Some will be moving many miles from home, others, just around the corner. Regardless of where they’ve chosen to study, and their reasons for doing so, new students need to make sure they’re licensed if they are going to watch live TV whilst away at uni.”

For further information, simply visit:, or call TV Licensing on 0300 790 6113.