Suspect released after man shot in the chest

editorial image
Share this article

A 49-year-old man arrested following a shooting in the Ardoyne area of Belfast was last night released unconditionally.

The shooting took place in the Cranbrook Gardens area of the city on Friday evening.

Shortly after 9pm a 30-year-old man was shot in his upper body in a house in the area, police said.

He was taken to hospital for treatment to his injuries, with police later describing his condition as stable.

Chief Inspector David Moore said the 49-year-old man had been arrested in connection with the shooting.

“A car was also seized and has been taken away for further examination,” he said.

“I would ask anyone with any information about this shooting to contact detectives at Musgrave police station on the non-emergency number 101. Or if someone would prefer to provide information without giving their details, they can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers and speak to them anonymously on 0800 555 111.”

DUP MLA for north Belfast William Humphrey said: “Obviously all shootings such as these should be condemned by right-thinking people,

“I would also appeal for anyone who has any information about this incident, or who may have witnessed anything suspicious, to contact the PSNI.”

Speaking shortly after the attack, Sinn Fein councillor Gerard McCabe said: “This shooting is wrong and I condemn those who carried it out.

“The people who carried this out have nothing other than hurt and intimidation to offer the people of this community.

“The people of Ardoyne have rejected this type of activity and those behind this latest gun attack should end their futile actions immediately.”

In 2013 three police vehicles came under gun attack in a suspected dissident shooting in the Ardoyne area.

They were struck by several gunshot rounds as they travelled along the Crumlin Road near Brompton Park.