The assurance has been given by Congressman Richard Neal, who said he urged the president not to axe the post at a time when the political institutions at Stormont are suspended, and to “help prevent further political instability” at such a “critical time”.
“I also believe we can make an important contribution to the Brexit debate and its implications on the island of Ireland.
“At this critical time, I am pleased that President Trump promised not to eliminate the special envoy post,” Congressman Neal said.
Senator George Mitchell occupied the position – officially known as the US Government’s Personal Representative for Northern Ireland Issues – during negotiations in the run-up to the 1998 Belfast Agreement.
Linfield v Portadown Sunday clash: Breakers of the Sabbath will answer to God
College lecturer dies while on holiday
Tom Topping: Heartbroken daughter says ‘world is totally shattered’ after father’s shock death - funeral details released
Michelle O’Neill has kicked sand in the face of victims of terrorism
‘Holistic and inclusive’: Northern Ireland Office Wilton Park report so full of ‘lazy jargon’ it makes you ‘lose the will to live’
Announcing the decision to retire the post earlier this month, a US Department of State spokesman said responsibility for Northern Ireland affairs would be “assigned to the Bureau of European and Eurasian Affairs”.
Congressman Neal added: “I told President Trump that eliminating the position of special envoy would send a message around the world that the United States is no longer engaged in the region.”