VIDEO: Large-scale security alert in Lurgan down to hoax

A security alert which shut down part of Lurgan, as well as part of Northern Ireland’s rail network, has ended.

A number of homes had been evacuated during the security alert in the Lake Street area of Lurgan.

PSNI

PSNI

The incident began on Sunday night.

Police had been told there were two devices left on or near the railway track.

On Monday evening, the PSNI said the objects had been located, and were “elaborate hoaxes”.

The railway track and road were re-opened.

There had been disturbances as the security services carried out their operation, and Chief Inspector Paul Reid, Craigavon Area Commander, said in a statement: “We understand how frustrating it is when roads and rail lines are closed, causing delays and general inconvenience, however this is never a decision we take lightly.

“Our first priority is always keeping people safe and these closures were necessary to ensure the safety of all in the area. I would like to thank local residents and all those affected by this incident for their patience and understanding but I am, however, very disappointed that, as my officers were engaged in helping to make the area safe, they were attacked by a small number of youths throwing bottles and stones.”

Petrol bombs had been recovered by the police as they dealt with the disorder.