Ricky Hatton hopes big British showdown can happen

Ricky Hatton
Ricky Hatton
Share this article

Former World champion Rocky Hatton believes the mega-fight between Carl Frampton and Scott Quigg has to me made.

The former WBA (Super), IBF, IBO and The Ring Light Welterweight Champion, and WBA Welterweight Champion also stated that he believes Matchroom’s Eddie Hearn was doing his best to get the fight signed, sealed and delivered.

Former World champion Ricky Hatton

Former World champion Ricky Hatton

“A big offer has been made of £1.5 million to Carl Frampton and that is a fantastic purse, and Eddie Hearn has also given them the option of a 60/40 co-promotion split,” Hatton said.

“I ain’t picking sides because I like Eddie and Matchroom, just as I like the McGuigans and Scott Quigg.

“I also like Carl Frampton, I have loads of respect for him – but I am from Manchester, so I am in Quigg’s corner.

“And to be honest I have watched the interviews and I can’t see much wrong with what Eddie has said – if the truth be known.

“And I am not picking Eddie ahead of Frampton, or anything like that, but Eddie puts a good case forward for why this fight is not happening and they have now got to come and answer why it is not happening.”

Meanwhile, Ryan Burnett made it nine wins out of nine as a professional in America on Saturday night.

The Belfast bantamweight stopping Stephen McIntyre in the first round of their contest with a sickening bodyshot.

It was Burnett’s seventh stoppage on his record.

Also, Andy Lee fought back from two early knockdowns to earn a draw with Peter Quillin in America..

Lee was down in the first and third but recovered superbly and the unbeaten Quillin was knocked down himself before tiring in the closing stages.

Judge Guido Cavalleri handed Lee the verdict by 113-112, giving the Irishman six of the last seven rounds, while judge Eric Marlinski had it 113-112 for Quillin, and Glenn Feldman had it a 113-113 draw.

The fight had been due to be for Lee’s WBO middleweight title but it became a non-title fight when Quillin failed to make the 160lb limit at the weigh-in on Friday.

Lee said: “It was a hard fight to score. He had the knockdowns, but I boxed consistently, especially down the stretch.

“He got me early, because I was being lazy. I understand, with two knockdowns, people felt he won the decision. I could have done better tonight.

“If my next fight is Peter Quillin, so be it. It should be in Ireland, because he has an Irish last name and maybe he can find some ancestors there.”

Quillin said: “There’s a reason why judges are judges, they see it their way. I respect the decision.

“I’m grateful that I was able to get back up and fight. I came here to fight and I was able to go 12 rounds.”