Ally McCoist insists he does not plan on walking away from Rangers any time soon - and wants talks with new chief executive Derek Llambias on new signings.
The Ibrox boss has tendered his resignation but insists he will see out the full 12-month notice period stipulated by his contract.
The club’s record scorer hopes to meet Llambias - whose new role was confirmed to the London Stock Exchange at 7am on Friday morning - to discuss strengthening his squad.
He said: “I’ll have to have a discussion with Derek regarding what the plans will be for the future. I spoke to him today regarding his own position and him and I will certainly sit down and discuss (adding to the squad), because that will be one of the topics that need to be discussed.”
The Light Blues board announced on Monday that McCoist had decided to quit after three-and-a-half years in charge.
It is understood the likes of football board chairman Sandy Easdale and his PLC brother James want McCoist to go now but showdown talks with Llambias on Wednesday broke down without a settlement.
The manager refused to divulge details about those talks at his weekly pre-match press conference or reveal the reasons behind his decision to resign.
But when asked if he planned to see out the full 12-month notice period set down in his one-year rolling contract, he did say: “Yes. Absolutely. I don’t know if it’s realistic or not but I expect it to happen because it is in the boundaries of the contract, which I look to honour. Whose court is the ball in now? I wouldn’t say the ball is in anybody’s court. I think it has been made quite clear by the board and myself that it is business as usual.”
News of McCoist’s resignation emerged just hours before the League One champions were due to take on Queen of the South last Friday night.
McCoist, who famously said he “did not do walking away” after the club’s liquidation crisis, batted off questions about why he had chosen to resign following the shock 2-0 defeat at Palmerston.
And a week later, he was still in no mood to disclose why he made the decision.
“I would keep that private,” he said. “Our last game was not good enough so we are concentrating all our efforts on tomorrow against Livingston.
“Have I been considering this for long? Not really. It was a very difficult decision but once I had made it, there was no turning back.
“And I can assure everybody I am 100 per cent committed and focused (on the job) for the remainder of my contract.
“The Rangers fans would expect nothing less than that.”
A statement released to the Stock Exchange on Monday confirming his impending departure also revealed that under the terms of McCoist’s contract, his salary would almost double to £750,000 a year.
That was seen by many fans as an attempt to heap pressure on the manager at a time when the business needs £8.3million before April 1 just to keep the lights on.
McCoist, though, insisted he “wasn’t surprised” that the board had chosen to announce those details.
He also tried to play down reports claiming he had fallen out with former Rangers strike partner Mark Hateley.
The duo helped fire Walter Smith’s side to nine successive titles but headlines this week suggested McCoist was angry over the Englishman’s close relationship with the Easdales.
McCoist said: “Mark and I go back a long way. We’ve been through a lot together. I’ve not had the chance to speak to him but we definitely will have a chat - there’s no problem about that.
“We are big boys, we will sit down and have a chat.”
The former Scotland striker had been in charge for only a year before Craig Whyte’s chaotic reign as owner brought the Glasgow giants to their knees.
The 52-year-old insists he would be sad to say goodbye to Rangers once the end finally comes.
He said: “Would I miss the job? That’s a good question! I would think you would have to miss the job. I don’t think there is any doubt about it.
“It’s been a massive, massive part of my life so you would definitely miss it. Have I enjoyed it? At times, yes.”