Bangor come from behind to claim victory and return to top of Championship 1

Bangor's Richard Gibson and Knockbreda's Kyle Owens
Bangor's Richard Gibson and Knockbreda's Kyle Owens

With only two games played in Championship 1 Bangor capitalised on the opportunity to return to the top and sit two points clear with a game in hand over Ards courtesy of their 4-2 home win over Knockbreda at the Bangor Fuels Arena.

Garth Scates’ side came back from being behind twice as the visitors stunned the Seasiders, taking the lead with an early goal when Josh Cahoon meandered through the static Bangor defence to slot home.

The league leaders were level soon afterwards when Jordan Forsythe headed in a free-kick at the back post.

But Knockbreda bewildered their hosts by taking the lead again on 42 minutes for a 2-1 half time advantage.

Andy Hall equalised after the break when his wide free-kick bypassed everyone and found the back of the net and the Seasiders took the lead for the first time when Forsythe fired past the despairing Jordan Williamson who could only get a fingertip to the striker’s effort.

Richard Gibson sealed the win when he headed in a Kris Pike cross for the fourth and the points were in the bag.

At a windy Holm Park Armagh City moved above visitors Ballyclare Comrades with a welcome 3-1 home win.

City opened the scoring from the penalty spot with Stephen Murray stroking the ball into the bottom corner, a lead they held to half time.

Marty Havern doubled the lead early in the second period but Ballyclare were awarded a penalty with 15 minutes left.

The spot-kick was saved brilliantly by Sean Morgan but the parried rebound fell to the onrushing Ballyclare player who slotted home to set up a thrilling finish.

On 80 minutes Andrew Hoey fired a Murray cross through the keeper’s legs to secure the win which sees City move seven points clears of the relegation zone.

Meanwhile, in Championship 2 leaders Lurgan Celtic followed up last week’s emphatic 9-0 win with another awesome display knocking five past Ballymoney United without reply at the Riada Stadium.

Colin Malone’s men are now three points clear with three games in hand and the Mid Ulster outfit are cruising to the title.

Goals from Conor Lavery (2), Raymond Fitzpatrick, Niall Lavery and Dale Malone ensured the win.

Limavady United continued their drive for promotion with an away win at Banbridge Town.

Cathair Freil hit the winner in the 70th minute.

Elsewhere, Annagh lost 2-1 to Moyola Park.

Wakehurst beat Glebe Rangers 3-1 at Mill Meadow, Portstewart got the better of Sport & Leisure Swifts at Glen Road registering a 2-1 away win.

Tobermore United beat Queen’s University by the only goal of the game at Fortwilliam Park and at Planters Park Dollingstown and Newington played out the only scoreless draw of the day.