Bangor hit four past Brantwood in Cup

Bangor boss Garth Scates
Bangor boss Garth Scates

Bangor 4 Brantwood 0

Bangor cruised into round six of the Irish Cup following this demolition of Brantwood at Clandeboye Road.

Had it been a boxing match, referee Colin Burns would surely have brought it to an end long before 90 minutes.

It was embarrassingly easy for Garth Scates’ team, but ideal preparation for Tuesday night’s County Antrim Shield final against Cliftonville at Solitude.

Goals from Paul McDowell, Dean Youle, Jordan Forsythe and Colin Nixon ensured the Seasiders’ name would be in the draw.

Brantwood were given an early warning when Mark Cooling fired inches over the top practically straight from the kick-off.

McDowell neat turn then created space, but goalkeeper Darren Dempster got down well to beat away.

Andy Morrow was next to try his luck and, after picking up a neat flick from McDowell, the striker’s drive was again superbly repelled by Dempster.

It certainly was no surprise when McDowell’s low drive from 20 yards nestled in the bottom corner after Kris Pike had robbed Wayne Porter on 12 minutes

The over worked Dempster then flipped a blockbuster from Cooling over the top before he was picking the ball of his net for the second time on 16 minutes. He had no chance when Hall’s corner kick found Youle, who headed in from close range.

Forsytle hit the goal of the match on 25 minutes. A slick move involving Cooling and Hall created the opening and the gangling midfielder lashed a beauty into the top corner.

That was game, set and match. Amazingly Bangor failed to add to their tally before the break, simply because Dempster again established himself with a brilliant save to deny Forsythe, before Hall’s blistering drive flashed inches pas the post.

The Seasiders took their foot off the gas in the second half. The tempo of the game dropped dramatically.

McDowell thought he had added to his team’s advantage on 59 minutes when he finished off a delicious Morrow cross, but he was flagged for an offside infringement.

Substitute Richard Gibson should really have punished the visitors after replacing Morrow. He capitalised on an error by Daniel Lunney, but shamefully scuffed his shot wide.

But Bangor struck a fourth goal 11 minutes from the finish. Hall’s corner kick was flicked on by another substitute, Ethan Boylan and Nixon popped up at the back post to convert.

Bangor: Gibbons, Youle (McCallion 46), Pike, Wary, Nixon, Walsh, Hall, Cooling, Morrow Gibson 74), McDowell (Boylan 74), Forsythe.

Subs not used: Long, Melly.

Brantwood: Dempster, Wilson, May, Pierce, Lunney, McAvoy, Porter (Early 60), Blair (Mudd 58), Bainbridge, Rafferty (McCann 60), Kernaghan.

Subs not used: Early, McCann.

Referee: C Burns (Comber).