Cathal Beacom’s moment of magic breaks Dungannon Swifts resistance

Cathal Beacom is congratulated by his team mates after scoring a wonder free kick
Cathal Beacom is congratulated by his team mates after scoring a wonder free kick

A superbly struck curling free kick from midfielder Cathal Beacom on 81 minutes gave Ballinamallard United three points.

It took that wonder strike from Beacom to split the sides during a tough and often dour battle at Ferney Park.

Ballinamallard manger Whitey Anderson was delighted with the result.

“We knew there wouldn’t be too many chances and it would be a tight game,” he said.

“We’re into our last five now and it’s up to us to pick up points in every single game and I’m confident that will be enough to see us still in the Premier League next season.

“Both teams were very committed, but we changed the shape of the team at half time.

“I said to them it might take one player who may produce a little bit of magic. Cathal Beacom stepped up and hit an absolutely cracking free kick. it makes a massive difference getting three points as opposed to one.

Darren Murphy, Dungannon’s manager said, “It was always going to be a set piece to win today’s game.

“Both sides played with a lot of commitment and I felt we were the better in the first half while Ballinamallard were the better in the second. “

“The difference is they were able to keep a clean sheet in the first half and we weren’t in the second. Ballinamallard scored from a smashing free kick.

“It was always going to be hard coming to Ballinamallard. There was a lot to play for and I thought both defences did well.”

It took that moment of brilliance from Beacom to put the ball into the net. but outside that there were very few chances in the game.”

Dungannon had the better of the first half striking the woodwork twice through Harpur and Hazley.

Hazley had a great opportunity just before the break when the ball was crossed to the back post, but his first time volley struck the back of defender Chris Crilly before going to safety.

On the half time whistle full back Burns struck a great effort from 20 yards which went inches over the crossbar.

Ballinamallard changed their formation in the second half and played with more purpos.

McMenamin’s great ball found the head of Lafferty just 12 yards out, but his header was straight at keeper Coleman.

Jjason McCartney went close after that after good link up play between David Kee and Crilly and during a good period of home pressure Kee sent Martin through, but the striker shot wide of the near post after controlling the ball on his chest.

Butit was the superb left foot strike from substitute Beacom which gave the Ferney side full points to draw level with Swifts.

It was Beacom’s first goal of the season and what an important one it might just be for the Fermanagh side.