Derbies dominate Championship 1 games

Welders' Sammy Devine (right) celebrates with David McMurray after scoring to make it 1-1 against Dundela
Welders' Sammy Devine (right) celebrates with David McMurray after scoring to make it 1-1 against Dundela

With replays in the Intermediate Cup taking preference over League fixtures there were only five games played in the Championship on Saturday.

In Championship 1 there was an East Belfast derby where Harland and Wolff Welders took on Dundela atTillysburn.

And in a Mid Ulster derby Armagh City hosted Loughgall at Holm Park.

At Tillysburn Dundela opened the scoring on 12 minutes through Aaron Keenan who had a simple tap in with the Welders defenders all over the place.

The Welders managed to grab an equaliser when Sammy Devine nodded home from a corner kick after 18 minutes but Dundela deservedly went ahead again in the 35th minute when Kyle Owens fired home from a free kick.

The home side were out of sorts but somehow managed to keep the score to 2-1 until the interval.

Within five minutes of the second half Michael McClellan’s 27th goal of the season had the resurgent Welders back on level terms as they started to dominate the game.

The goal that sealed all three league points came from David Rainey after some great build up play from Magennis and McClellan.

Meanwhile, over in Armagh, City and Loughgall were involved in a feisty affair which was won by a solitary Stephen Muray goal in the 51st minute when Dara Noonan won the ball from a corner-kick and headed back across goal where Murray popped up to apply the finishing touch at the near-post.

It was top versus bottom in Championship 2 where leaders Lurgan Celtic extended their lead to seven points beating basement club Ballymoney United by two goals to nil at Knockramer Park.

Ballymoney belied their humble league position by giving as good as they got and could have been two up in the first half but for goal-line clearances by the Celtic defence.

However, Celtic were a different side in the second half and Chris Lavery netted both goals for the Hoops missing out on his hat-trick when he fired a spot kick high over the bar.

Annagh United defeated Dollingstown by four goals to three when the two met at Tandragee Road.

Shea Campbell give Annagh a ninth minute lead before three goals in three minutes left the score-line at 3-1 to the home side and Scott McCordick made it 4-1 before the break.

Dollingstown pulled one back early in the second half and yet another in the 78th minute but the Portadown men held out for the three points.

Tobermore suffered a home defeat at the hands of Glebe Rangers who took a 17th minute lead from a corner kick. A 68th minute own goal by Glebe levelled the affair but four minutes later and from another corner the visitors scored what proved to be the winner.