Derry City hit four past Longford at Brandywell

Derry City's Peter Hutton
Derry City's Peter Hutton

Two goals in each half saw Derry City return to winning ways at the Brandywell on Friday night, the win 4-0 over Longford easing the pressure on team boss Peter Hutton.

The Foylesiders now move three points clear of the relegation zone, getting back to winning ways expected to boost confidence levels in the north.

And it was a thoroughly deserved win for the home lot, Derry bossing the ball for lengthy with keeper Ger Doherty rarely troubled.

However, when Barry McNamee missed a “sitter” after just two minutes the home faithful began to worry.

That said, when the opening goal did arrive in the 9th minute by way of an own goal, the Brandywell burst to life.

Robbie Cornwall’s low cross appeared to flick off the body of Patrick McEleney before Longford midfielder, Jack Doherty, turned it into his own net.

Derry’s persistence was rewarded with a second goal in the 20th minute, thanks to a fine strike by Mark Timlin.

Having started the move himself, his one-two with Patrick McEleney, saw Timlin’s shot take a deflection off Longford Mark Salmon, the effort wrong-footing keeper, Hunt who had no chance.

Longford’s only chance in the opening half fell to Kaleem Simon in the 33rd minute, the winger heading Pat Sullivan’s free into the welcoming hands of Doherty.

And the home side could have netted another before the break when Barry McNamee’s deft lob towards the back post was smashed over the crossbar by Stephen Dooley.

Derry finally put the game to bed in the 77th minute, McEleney threading through the perfect pass for Timlin to net his fourth goal in two games in the one-on-one situation with Hunt.

Longford sub, David O’Sullivan, brought the best out of Doherty in the 81st minute while Conor Powell’s rebound was blocked down by the Derry defence.

Derry City: Doherty; Cornwall, McBride, Barry, Jarvis; Dooley (Curtis, 89), Lowry, McCormack, McNamee; Timlin (Quigley, 89), McEleney (Morrison, 79).

Longford Town: Hunt; Mulhall, Sullivan, Powell, Deady; Doherty (O’Sullivan, h/t), Salmon, Rice, Gorman, Simon (Shannon, 71); Shaw.

Referee: D. McKeon (Dublin)