Dramatic Ian Parkhill winner seals points for Coleraine at Glenavon

Coleraine grabbed a dramatic victory over Glenavon at Mourneview Park
Coleraine grabbed a dramatic victory over Glenavon at Mourneview Park


Former Coleraine forward Eoin Bradley looked to have come back to haunt his old side when he smashed home a last minute equaliser for Glenavon at Mourneview Park on Saturday afternoon.

However, there was to be a flurry of action as, just 38 seconds after Bradley’s goal, the Bannsiders had the ball in the net to claim the most dramatic of winners.

Ian Parkhill grabbed it, converting superbly after ghosting in on the left flank. And as if that wasn’t enough last gasp action, Coleraine defender David Ogilby was given a second yellow for his part in the delirious celebrations.

It was certainly a hard-earned victory for the battling Bannsiders after Bradley’s follow-up from his own missed penalty looked to have denied them victory.

Neil McCafferty had given Oran Kearney’s side the half-time lead with an impressive free-kick that curled perfectly into the bottom corner.

Glenavon levelled through Ciaran Martyn’s seventh league goal of the season on 47 but, just nine minutes later, Shane McGinty lashed in a superb strike across Glenavon keeper James McGrath before the late action left it at 3-2 to Coleraine.

The first half was a story of two spectacular chances. The first of those forced Michael Doherty to be at his very best to keep out Glenavon player/manager Gary Hamilton’s stunning volley.

Chesting the ball down 35 yard outs, he didn’t need a second invitation to launch a dipping effort at goal but, just too close to keeper Doherty, who pulled off an equally impressive save to tip it over.

At the other end, James McGrath couldn’t pull off similar heroics. From over 30 yards out, Coleraine midfielder Neil McCafferty curled a perfect free-kick right into the bottom corner. McGrath was a mere spectator.

Gary Hamilton will have demanded better at half-time and his side took just two minutes to deliver.

The boss was heavily involved as it was his cross that set up Kris Lindsay for a close range effort that was blocked and flipped up into the air. Ciaran Martyn’s header looked to have been cleared off the line by Lyndon Kane but, according the referee’s assistant, it had just crept over.

They were level for just nine minutes as winger Shane McGinty lashed Coleraine back into the lead. He surged in on the right side of the box and unleashed a superb finish across McGrath and into the top corner.

Glenavon pressed for the equaliser and looked to have got a share of the spoils when Bradley converted after Doherty had stopped his weak penalty.

But even that wasn’t to be enough as the Blues switched off at the back and Ian Parkhill certainly made them pay.

GLENAVON: McGrath, Marshall, Lindsay, Dillon, McKeown, Hamilton, Martyn, Kilmartin (McCabe 73), McGrory (Caldwell 46), Braniff (Patton 73), Bradley.

Unused Subs: Neill, McNally.

Booked: Braniff (58), Lindsay (75), McCabe (93)

COLERAINE: Doherty, Mullan, Douglas, Ogilby, Kane, McNeill (Miskimmin 82), McCafferty, Beverland, McGinty, McCauley (Browne 22 (Canning 92)), Parkhill.

Unused Subs: Hegarty, Watt.

Booked: Ogilby (27, 91), Mullan (76), McGinty (81).