Rooney nets 200th goal in draw at City

  • Premier League: Manchester City 1 Everton 1

Wayne Rooney scored his 200th Premier League goal but Raheem Sterling came off the bench to snatch a 1-1 draw for Manchester City against Everton.

In a frantic contest that saw both sides reduced to 10 men, Rooney’s second goal since rejoining the Toffees looked to have earned victory after Kyle Walker was harshly sent off at the Etihad Stadium.

Evertons Wayne Rooney celebrates scoring his 200th goal last night

City responded in the second half and substitute Sterling volleyed a fine 82nd-minute equaliser before Everton’s Morgan Schneiderlin also saw red.

City may feel the result was the least they deserved after controversy erupted before half-time when Walker was ruled to have floored Dominic Calvert-Lewin.

Everton were not being overrun by an early rampant City. Calvert-Lewin and Tom Davies both went close and after Silva thumped a shot against the post, the visitors broke and Calvert-Lewin turned provider for Rooney on 35 minutes.

The rejuvenated former England captain latched onto his strike partner’s pull-back with a first-time shot that Ederson failed to keep out with his feet. He raced away cupping his ears in celebration, clearly enjoying a landmark moment. His former Manchester United manager Jose Mourinho, who sanctioned his return to Everton in the summer, was in the stadium to witness it too.

Moments later came the game’s major flashpoint as Calvert-Lewin and Walker came together under a high ball and the Everton man fell to the ground. Referee Robert Madley deemed Walker, who had his back to Calvert-Lewin, the aggressor and showed a quick second yellow.

City tried to freshen things up, with Sterling introduced at half-time and new signing Bernardo Silva with just over 20 minutes remaining.

It took some time for City to break down the Everton rearguard but as the game moved into the latter stages, Sterling came to the fore.

He fired one shot narrowly over after a powerful run and was wasteful with another opportunity from close range before finally making a firm connection to level the scores eight minutes from time.

More from Sport