Glenavon and St Johnstone share the spoils at Mourneview

Glenavon's David Elebert  in action with St Johnstone's  Graham Cummins
Glenavon's David Elebert in action with St Johnstone's Graham Cummins

Last night’s friendly between Glenavon and Scottish outfit St Johnstone proved to be a good work out for both sides ahead of their respective Europa League trips to Belarus and Armenia.

Both managers would have been hoping for a competitive game to continue their European build-up, but there was - perhaps unsurprisingly - pre-season feel to the start of the game.

Conor Dillon had a half chance with a looped shot off a David Elebert long ball which went over, and his second opportunity was saved at the near post by Alexander Clark after good link-up play involving James Singleton and Ciaran Martyn.

David Wotherspoon flew a free kick over the bar for the visitors before Clark was called back into action to deny Andy McGrory’s well-struck volley.

A Mark Patton corner was turned goalwards by Elebert but plucked out of the air by the goalkeeper, before Simon Kelly’s header was deflected over.

Rhys Marshall could have opened the scoring on 50 minutes but pulled his shot wide after Mark Patton’s corner was headed down by Elebert.

Dillon was unfortunate not to reach a deflected McGrory cross following a quickly worked free kick by Mark Patton, and then McGrory pulled out a great save from Alexander when neither Dillon or Ciaran Martyn could get an effort at goal.

Chris Kane made amends on 72 minutes when he turned Kelly inside the penalty box before driving past Tuffey.

Glenavon, however, were not to be outdone and on 90 minutes referee Tim Marshall awarded a penalty when Eoghan McCawl seemedto have brought down Gary Hamilton.

Kevin Braniff dispatched the spot kick.

GLENAVON: Tuffey, Marshall, Elebert, Kelly, Singleton, Martyn, Kilmartin, Dillon, McGrory, Braniff, Patton. Subs: Drylie, Lynch (Kilmartin 80), Deery, Boylan, Burns (Dillon 83), Hamilton (Patton 73).

ST JOHNSTONE: Clarke, Shaugnessy, Scobbie, Caddis, McKay, Rodger, O’Halloran, Wotherspoon, Kane, Cummins, Thomson. SUBS: Hurst (Alexander 73), Easton (Caddis 46), Gordon (Shaugnessy 63), McCawl (Wotherspoon 78), Comrie (McKay 63), Sutton (O’Halloran 63), McLaren (Cummins 63), Lappin.

REFEREE: Tim Marshall