Glentoran hit five against Warrenpoint Town

Warrenpoint's Stephen McCabe and Glentoran's David Scullion
Warrenpoint's Stephen McCabe and Glentoran's David Scullion

Warrenpoint 0

Glentoran 5

Jordan Stewart helped himself to a hat-trick as Glentoran demolished bottom side Warrenpoint at Milltown to keep their excellent recent run of form going.

Danny McKee and Stephen Gordon scored the other two with the East Belfast men by far and away the better side on the day.

The first half quickly became a midfield battle with Glentoran just edging possession but it was the home side who had the opening chance of the match on 12 minutes.

Liam Bagnall came out on top in a 50/50 with Stephen McAlorum on the right touchline and he found Daniel Hughes who set his strike partner Ciaran O’Connor racing clear. O’Connor, on loan from Dundalk, opted to square the ball back to Hughes when he could have shot himself, but the ‘Point’s top scorer didn’t get a decent connection on his shot form inside the box and Elliott Morris was able to save easily.

A war of attrition had developed but it was still the Glens who had the upper hand and they broke the deadlock nine minutes before the break through Jordan Stewart.

Marcus Kane’s diagonal saw Stephen Gordon win the ball ahead of Warrenpoint keeper Jonny Parr. The home defence then failed to clear for a second time and it fell to Stewart who controlled, made space and then lashed the ball past Parr into the top left hand corner from 12 yards.

After Morris had been equal to a couple of Stephen Hughes efforts from distance before the interval, Eddie Patterson’s men doubled their advantage less than two minutes into the second half. Niall Henderson curled in a free-kick from the left hand side and Stewart, the smallest man on the pitch, was left unmarked to head past Parr from six yards out.

The result was all but secured on 54 minutes and this time it was another Glentoran young gun who found the net. Warrenpoint captain John Boyle tried to shepherd the ball out for a goal kick under pressure from David Scullion but the winger got a touch inside to McKee who drove under Parr form close range to make it 3-0.

Warrenpoint had a glorious chance to get back into it three minutes later when Daniel Hughes forced his way through but Morris came out well and got enough on it to keep it out before the ball was cleared by Gordon.

Things then went from bad to worse for Warrenpoint on 81 minutes when sub Johnny Breen kicked out at William Garrett inside the box. Referee Ian McNabb showed the striker a straight red card and Stewart sent Parr the wrong way from the spot to complete his hat-trick.

Stephen Gordon then made it five with four minutes to go when he turned the ball home following a cross from the right from Glens sub Fra McCaffrey.

Warrenpoint Town: Parr, Cowan, Bagnall, McVeigh (Breen 64), King (Devlin 64), Boyle, D Hughes, S Hughes, M Hughes, McCabe, O’Connor (Grant 64)

Subs not used: Moan, Marron

Glentoran: Morris, Kane, Garrett, Scullion (McCaffrey 79), Gordon, Stewart, Henderson, Addis, McAlorum, Holland (Nelson 54), McKee

Subs not used: Birney, McCullough, Hogg

Referee: Ian McNabb (Newtownabbey)