Harland and Wolff Welders ease to top of Championship with win over Donegal Celtic

Larne's Guillaume Keke takes on  Institute's Daryl McDermott and Dean Curry
Larne's Guillaume Keke takes on Institute's Daryl McDermott and Dean Curry

Harland and Wolff Welders surged to the top of the Championship 1 table following Saturday’s 6-2 win over Donegal Celtic at Tillysburn.

A Middleton goal plus a brace from Rainey which was topped by a hat-trick from McLellan saw off the challenge of the Suffolk Road men who now sit bottom with only one point from a possible 12.

Meanwhile, Ards claimed a 3-1 win over Annagh United.

They took a sixth minute lead over Annagh United when Eamonn McAllister was on hand to poke the ball home following a corner kick.

Right on the stroke of half time McAllister pounced again to double his tally and give the visitors a two goal cushion for the second half.

Aaron Boyd scored on his debut to make it 3-0 on 68 minutes but Annagh pulled one back from the penalty spot on 80 minutes.

Ross Arthurs saw red for a second yellow offence but Ards held on to take the points.

Over at Holm Park, Armagh City and Lisburn Distillery played out a scoreless first half but on 55 minutes City keeper Connolly brought down Taggart inside the penalty area and he was rightly dismissed.

Stand-in keeper Mallon saved the spot kick but Taggart struck the rebound past the hapless Mallon for what proved to be the winning goal.

Ballyclare Comrades entertained Dergview at Dixon Park where both sides had their fair share of chances before the visitors broke the deadlock in the 38th minute.

On 60 minutes it was all square Loughgall took the lead at Bangor when Jamie Reid’s 17th minute effort beat the home keeper.

Just before the break McDowell was fouled inside the box by the Loughgall keeper who was lucky to stay on the field.

Mark Cooling converted the spot kick to level proceedings but deep into time added on Loughgall went ahead again when Warren Mullen’s 25 yard free kick deflected of the wall and into the net. Cooling smashed home an equaliser from a direct free kick and Nixon thought he had won it for the Seasiders but the referee ruled it out for a foul on the keeper.

Paul Maguire headed in a tantalising cross from Thomas Robinson to give visitors Larne the lead at Drumahoe but Institute recorded their first point of the season with a 71st minute strike by Shane McGinty.

Knockbreda scored on the break following a goal-line clearance in first half stoppage time to lead Lurgan Celtic at Knockrammer Park. Seven minutes into the second half Josh Barton equalised for the Lurgan Hoops and O’Hara’s 85th minute penalty won the points for never say die Celtic.

Meanwhile, in Championship 2 PSNI maintained their 100 per cent record to stay top with a 2-1 away to Dollingstown, while Banbridge Town were on the end of a 6-0 thumping by Sport and Leisure Swifts at Crystal Park.

Dundela beat Portstewart 3-1 at Magheracall and Limavady United thumped Glebe Rangers 4-0 at The Riada Stadium to stay second in the table.

In a 3-0 home win Moyola Park’s McIlhatten opened the scoring against bottom club Coagh United on six minutes and doubled his tally in the 18th minute. Dowie rounded off the scoring in the second half.

Queen’s University registered a 1-0 win over Newington at The Dub and Tobermore United suffered their first defeat of the season going down 1-0 to Wakehurst at Fortwilliam Park.