Institute and Warrenpoint ends all even

Institute's Robbie Hume
Institute's Robbie Hume



Neither side will have been happy with this result in Drumhoe, both Institute and Warrenpoint entrenched in the Premier League relegation area with Dungannon Swifts the big winners.

And while ‘Stute may have created the better chances, Warrenpoint keeper, Jonathan Parr, did well when called upon in the second half.

With both sides struggling to get to grips with the game, it was the home lot who finally broke the deadlock in the 25th minute.

A cross from Declan McKeever found the head of unmarked striker, Robbie Hume, and he did well when guiding the ball home from close range.

Four minutes later Stephen Curry put ball into danger area but both Hume and McKeever failed to make contact.

Always dangerous when on the break, Warrenpoint midfielder, Stephen Hughes, sent Darren King scampering clear in the 35th minute into a one-on-one situation with keeper, Eugene Ferry, but the winger crashed his shot of the butt of the upright.

However, within two minutes Hughes was rewarded for his tenacity when he levelled matters amid a ruck of players inside the box.

A corner was floated over and with the ball appearing to bobble about inside the box Hughes low shot appeared to have been cleared-off the goal-line, but a well placed referee, John Deighan, immediately pointing to the centre spot.

Following the change of ends, Warrenpoint’s Daniel Hughes directing a shot on target in the 49th minute as they attempted to move into the driving seat.

However, it was the home lot who went closest when a free from Cormac Burke was headed onto the cross by Dean Curry in the 53rd minute.

And Curry was denied again when keeper Parr did well to save his shot minutes later.

In the 57th minute Stephen Curry was denied by Parr in a one-on-one situaton after he had been played in by Hume as Stute began to get on top.

Warrenpoint could so easily have scored in the 64th minute but Mark Hughes failed to get onto the end of Stephen Hughes’ low centre and Institute breathed a sigh of relief.

As the game continued to ebb and flow, Stute sub Paul McVeigh’s curling shot shaved the outside of the post with Parr beaten with 10 minutes remaining.

Both sides huffed and puffed towards the end but failed to make any improvement in the final third.

Institute: Ferry; D. Curry, Scoltock, McLaughlin; McKeever, Crown, Forker (R. Doherty, 77), Walsh, S. Curry; Burke (McVeigh, 72); Hume.

Warrenpoint: Parr; Cowan, Boyle, McVeigh; King (Devlin, 58); M. Hughes, S. Hughes, Moan (Smith 65), Bagnall; O’Connor (Grant, 85), D. Hughes.

Referee: J. Deighan (Limavady).