INSTITUTE: Paul Kee rues ‘shocking’ defending as Coleraine claim win

Coleraine's Matthew Snoddy celebrates his goal with Lyndon Kane
Coleraine's Matthew Snoddy celebrates his goal with Lyndon Kane


Institute slumped to a fifth straight league defeat and remain rooted to the foot of the Irish Premiership table as Coleraine claimed maximum points from the North West derby at the Riverside.

Paul Kee’s men have worryingly managed just four points from their last 15 league games – their last win recorded back on October 17 against fellow strugglers Warrenpoint Town.

Coleraine simply took their chances on the day while former Stute keeper Michael Doherty twice thwarted his former playing colleagues in the first half as the Bannsiders returned to winning ways.

Stute found themselves behind after just 67 seconds when Ian Parkhill capitalised on poor defending and blasted into the bottom corner.

Despite a spirited response from the home lot Matthew Snoddy added a second for Coleraine just before the break.

And a frustrated Institute boss, Kee claimed it was a ‘shocking start’ to the game from his players.

“The start was shocking,” he said. “The defending was awful for the goals. It’s very disappointing. When we come into the last third of the pitch we have no penetration or threat and lack that bit of an edge.

“So we’re lacking in the final third and we’re giving soft goals away. They scored the second goal on the counter attack after we gave away the ball. And in the second half we have most of the play but they hung on and took the win. We can’t feel sorry for ourselves and that’s what’s happening.

“We had no leadership and we didn’t start at all.”

Indeed, it was a disastrous start for the home side as they failed to clear from a corner kick and when the ball broke to Parkhill on the edge of the area, he volleyed into the corner.

Parkhill came close to adding a second on 17 minutes but his drilled shot from the right wing was deflected behind for a corner.

Stute finally began to churn through the gears and Dean Curry’s downward header from a corner looked destined to find the corner of the net but he was thwarted by a terrific save from former ‘Stute keeper, Michael Doherty.

It was a great response from the Drumahoe men but they were hit with a sucker punch late in the first half as the Bannsiders struck on the counter.

Parkhill showed quick feet to get past his marker and found Snoddy with an excellent pass with the outside of his boot.

Snoddy got beyond the last man and his sublime strike from just outside the box floated into the top corner with Saul Deeney back-peddling.

Stute twice came close to reducing the deficit before the interval but Doherty tipped over Robbie Hume’s free-kick and Delcan McKeever rifled his shot just wide of the mark from the resultant corner.

Stute made a promising start to the second half and McKeever’s powerful hit from 25 yards sailed narrowly wide of the upright on 53 minutes.

Parkhill found himself clean through on goal moments later but Institute keeper Deeney got a strong hand to his close range shot and palmed it to safety.

The remainder of the half petered out without either side creating anything of note as Coleraine deservedly claimed the win.

Institute: Saul Deeney; Graeme Crown (Cormac Burke 68), Paddy McLaughlin, Dean Curry, Peter Bradley; Declan McKeever, Dwayne McManus, Aaron Walsh, Stephen Curry; Darren McFadden (Michael McCrudden 68), Robbie Hume (Mark Scoltock 80); Subs Not Used - Mark Forker, Martin Gallagher.

Coleraine: Michael Doherty: Adam Mullan, David Ogilby, Aaron Canning, Lyndon Kane; Joe McNeill (Ruairi Harkin 71), Ruaidhri Higgins, Neil McCafferty, Matthew Snoddy, Brad Lyons (Shane McGinty 65); Ian Parkhill (Jamie McGonigle 88); Subs Not Used - Gary Browne, Johnny Watt.

Referee: Raymond Hetherington. (Dungannon).