IRISH CUP: Crusaders ease into quarter-finals after win at Dungannon

.'Dungannon's Jamie Glackin  in action with Crusaders  Jordan Owens
.'Dungannon's Jamie Glackin in action with Crusaders Jordan Owens

Dungannon Swifts 1 Crusaders 3

Crusaders eased into the quarter-finals of the Irish Cup after a dominant performance at Dungannon Swifts.

Andrew Mitchell and Michael Carvill were among the Crues’ scorers at Stangmore Park.

Crusaders threatened from the off with Jordan Owens twice going close inside the opening 10 minutes.

A strike from distance from Billy-Joe Burns also worked the goalkeeper.

So it was little surprise when they went ahead in the 11th minute, Crues full-back Mitchell taking the ball on the edge of the box and firing home a right foot shot.

Paul Heatley went close with a header soon afterwards, but couldn’t find a way past the goalkeeper.

Dungannon levelled just short of the half hour mark.

A cross was played back into the path of Cormac Burke, who slotted home to leave it all square again.

Crusaders responded well and went close on several occasions before retaking the lead in the 37th minute.

Michael Carvill’s shot was judged to have crossed the line by the assistant referee - despite a defender making a desperate goal-line intervention.

Dungannon boss Rodney McAree disputed the decision, and his protests saw him sent from the dugout.

Crusaders sealed their place in the quarter-finals when they made it 3-1 on the hour.

Carvill was the creator, whipping over a free-kick, with the ball appearing to go in off a luckless Dungannon defender.

The Crues had a late penalty after a hand-ball by a Dungannon defender, but Billy-Joe Burns’ effort was parried away by Andy Coleman.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Coleman, Burns (Montgomery, 83), McCaffrey, O’Rourke, Wilson, Lowe (Liggett, 69), Glackin, Harpur, Teggart, Burke (Douglas, 64), Mitchell

Subs not used: Fitzpatrick, McDonald

CRUSADERS: O’Neill, Burns, Coates, Robinson, Caddell, Snoddy (Clarke, 85), Mitchell, Carvill, Owens, Heatley, White (O’Carroll, 76)

Subs not used: Magowan, Vauls, McKibbon

Referee: Arnold Hunter (Maguiresbridge)