IRISH CUP: Glenavon surge to stunning 4-1 win over Glentoran at The Oval

Ciaran Martyn celebrates his goal
Ciaran Martyn celebrates his goal


Glenavon booked their place in the quarter-finals of the Tennent’s Irish Cup with a stunning 4-1 win over holders Glentoran.

Goals from Rhys Marshall, Ciaran Martyn, Eoin Bradley and Joel Cooper sealed a comfortable victory for Gary Hamilton’s side at The Oval.

The Glens claimed a late consolation when Kris Lindsay deflected Curtis Allen’s cross into his own net in the 87th minute.

Glenavon’s win was the perfect tribute for former striker Mark Farren who passed away on Wednesday following a long battle with cancer.

A minute’s silence was observed prior to kick-off, with fans joining in a minute’s applause in the 10th minute in memory of Farren – who wore the number 10 shirt during his time at Mourneview Park.

The applause erupted just as the visitors broke the deadlock with Marshall rushing into the box to head home Cooper’s cross.

It was 2-0 in the 18th minute courtesy of a bullet header from Martyn.

Cooper was once again the provider, delivering a cross from the left which Martyn arrowed into the top corner for his second goal in as many games.

Glenavon extended their lead in the 54th minute with a superb finish from Bradley.

The striker picked up possession on the right edge of the box before curling a delightful effort around defender Marcus Kane and into the top corner of Aaron Hogg’s net.

Glentoran bagged a consolation in the 87th minute when Allen’s cross was nudged into his own net by Lindsay.

Glenavon completed the scoring in the 92nd minute when Cooper angled a low drive past Hogg to wrap up the 4-1 win.

GLENTORAN: Hogg, Holland, Gordon (Smith 73), Addis, Birney, Kane, Morrow, McCaffrey (Patton 46), Scullion (Caldwell 56), Allen, Lavery.

Subs not used: McCullough, Gibson.

GLENAVON: Tuffey, Kelly, Lindsay, Marshall, Cooper, Bradley (Hamilton 84), Sykes (Kilmartin 79), McGrory, Braniff, Kearns (Hall 84), Martyn.

Subs not used: Hall, Patton, O’Brien, Hamilton.

Referee: Andrew Davey (Bangor)