IRISH LEAGUE: Ballinamallard in historic win over Glentoran

Glentoran's Johnny Addis in action with Ballinamallard's Michael McCrudden
Glentoran's Johnny Addis in action with Ballinamallard's Michael McCrudden


Ballinamallard United grabbed the first ever Irish League win over Glentoran at the Oval.

Goals from teenager Johnny Courtney and Cahil Beacom made it day to remember in East Belfast for Whitey Anderson’s team.

Glens boss Eddie Patterson was dealt a blow before the start with defensive pair pulling out due to injury.

Magee, who has just completed a three game ban, sustained a knock in training on Thursday night, while Birney failed to recover from an injury picked up last week at Dungannon. Kristian Gibson was handed a starting slot, filling in a full back.

United boss Anderson made only one alteration to the side was beaten by Cliftonville in their previous outing, bringing in Courtney for Ryan Campbell, who had to settle for place on the bench.

It was the visitors who asked the early questions with Liam Martin completely mis-kicking a Michael McCrudden with the goal at his mercy.

The impressive Martin then tried his luck with a curling effort from the edge of the box that goalkeeper Aaron Hogg dealt with confidently.

Glentoran at last began to threaten at the other end, but Curtis Allen’s header from a David Scullion cross, failed to trouble the towering Alvin Rouse on 17 minutes.

Allen produced the home team’s best effort of the half on 30 minutes, cutting in from the right before sending in a stinging drive that Rouse did well to hold on to.

Glentoran teenager Jonathan Smith then sent in an inviting curling free kick from the left that was begging to be finished, but the ball flashed across the face of the goal.

But United forged in front on 41 minutes with that Courtney strike. Beacom won the ball on the edge of the box before slipping a superb pass to the teenager, who drilled it into the bottom corner.

The Glens tried to respond, but Rouse got down brilliantly to save a Willie Garrett header with his outstretched boot.

United struck again on 54 minutes, with Beacom blasting home a 25 yard free kick, giving Hogg no chance.

And, incredibly it could have been three on 66 minutes. This time Michael McCrudden’s 30 yard free kick flashed inches past the post with Hogg rooted to the spot.

Little wonder the Glens were booed off at the finish of another horrible performance.

Glentoran: Hogg, Garrett, Kane, Scullion (McCaffrey 77), Allen, McAlorum, Gibson (57), Addis, Gordon, McMenamin, Smith.

Subs not used: McCullough, Morris, Henderson.

Ballinamallard United: Rouse, McMenamin, McLoughlin, Feeney, Martin, McCartney, Leckey (Smith91), Beacom, Courtney (Campbell 89), McCrudden, Friars.

Subs not used: Phair, Carters, Klobusek.

Referee: S Taylor (Belfast).