IRISH LEAGUE: Draw at Glenavon ends Warrenpoint’s losing streak

Glenavon's Eoin Bradley  in action with Warrenpoint's John Boyle
Glenavon's Eoin Bradley in action with Warrenpoint's John Boyle


Warrenpoint’s 13 league-game losing streak came to an end with a draw at Mourneview Park.

Glenavon, who were seeking to move into third place with a victory, were stunned after just 22 seconds when a rare mistake from Kris Lindsay allowed Stephen Murray under a long punt upfield. He made no mistake when left one on one with Jonathan Tuffey, shooting low under the goalkeeper.

The hosts tried to respond immediately when makeshift midfielder, Conor Dillon, found Mark Sykes. The teenager took a touch to beat two Warrenpoint defenders but skewed his shot wide.

Rhys Marshall was unlucky to miss when he headed a Joel Cooper cross over the bar, while at the other end Cliftonville-bound Daniel Hughes forced a fine safe out of Tuffey.

Glenavon then had two penalty calls with their former player, Jordan Dane, the culprit on both occasions. First the hosts felt he had brought down Daniel Kearns following a cross from Andrew Hall, and then there were calls for a hand ball when he appeared to touch Simon Kelly’s flick-on.

Warrenpoint pushed forward again, and could have added to their tally when Conor McDonald pulled back for Stephen Murray to shoot again from the edge of the box, but Tuffey gathered again.

Glenavon finally got back on level terms 10 minutes after the interval when a Hall free kick from the left of the penalty area floated over everyone, including ‘Point goalkeeper Jonathan Parr, and over the line.

Sean Donnelly’s fancy footwork then gave Murray a chance to restore the lead but his opportunity was off target.

Hall came close to scoring a spectacular winner with 15 minutes to go when he let fly from 30 yards, but his effort was narrowly off the mark.

Murray will be wondering how he didn’t snatch all three points for the visitors when Daniel Hughes slipped him through one on one with the keeper once again, but while it forced a crucial save by Tuffey it was a bad miss by the striker.

The roles were reversed on 86 minutes when Hughes missed following a pull back by Murray.

Glenavon: Tuffey, Neill, Kelly. Lindsay, Dillon, Marshall, Cooper, Bradley, Hall, Sykes, Kearns. Subs: Patton (Kearns 88), McGrory (Lindsay 70), O’Brien (Neill 77), Hamilton, Braniff.

Warrenpoint Town: Parr, McVeigh, McDonald, Smith, D Hughes, Murray, Dane, M Hughes, Moan, Boyle, Donnelly. Subs: McGuigan (Smith 76), S Hughey, Rooney, Kierans, Shanahan.

Referee: Keith Kennedy (Lisburn)