IRISH LEAGUE: Dungannon battle back to draw with Ballinamallard

James McKenna and Paul McElroy.
James McKenna and Paul McElroy.


A dramatic stoppage-time header by supersub Gary Liggett rescued a point for Dungannon Swifts at Ferney Park.

Just when it looked James McKenna’s 55th minute goal was going to be enough for the Mallards to secure a precious win, Liggett popped up in added time to break Mallard hearts with a superb header.

The draw means little has changed at the foot of the table with the Ducks still in eighth, a point ahead of Dungannon.

Swifts striker Andy Mitchell rifled into the side-netting early doors but that early effort apart it was the Mallards who created the greater threat in the opening 45 minutes.

Jay McCartney’s free kick deliveries were a real cause for concern for the visiting defence with Emmet Friars glancing wide before Swifts net-minder Andy Coleman acrobatically tipped over another header by the big defender.

Mallards midfielder James McKenna also had a bullet header blocked on the line by Dougie Wilson while late on Dale Montgomery charged down a stinging shot by Ryan Campbell.

Ten minutes into the second half McKenna fired the Ducks in front..

Following good approach play by John Currie and Ryan Campbell, the midfielder latched onto the ball and after dummying to shoot twice picked his spot low inside Alvin Rouse’s right post.

Moments later Campbell could have added a second but the striker fired inches wide after being ushered through by Shane McCabe.

Thereafter Swifts pushed for an equaliser.

Rouse denied Andrew Burns, McElroy fired narrowly past a post before substitute Liggett headed in two minutes into stoppage-time

Ballinamallard United: Rouse; Crilly; McLaughlin; Friars; Elliott; McCabe; McKenna; Currie (Lecky 88); McCartney (Martin 80); Campbell; Feeney (Lafferty 84).

Sub not used: McMenamin; Courtney.

Dungannon Swifts: Coleman; Montgomery; Armstrong; McCaffrey; Burns; Wilson; Glackin (Teggart 77); Hazley (Liggett 66); Burke (Mullan 85); Mitchell; McElroy.

Subs not used: Fitzpatrick; Lowe.

Referee: L Travinder (Dungannon).