IRISH LEAGUE: Glentoran earn 1-0 win over Warrenpoint Town with late winner from Jim O’Hanlon

Glentoran celebrate Jim O'Hanlon's late winner
Glentoran celebrate Jim O'Hanlon's late winner


An injury time header from sub Jim O’Hanlon saw Glentoran take all three points at Milltown.

It was a late victory for the Glens under caretaker manager of Roy Coyle.

In what was a dire first half of football where neither side were able to string together much by the way of slick passing football, it was the Glens who were marginally the better side in the opening 45 minutes.

Glentoran did have the ball in the back of the net on 25 minutes when David Scullion floated a free-kick in from the right. Curtis Allen rose highest at the back post to nod past Aaron Shanahan but the assistant referee’s flag had already been raised for offside.

The same two players combined seven minutes later with Scullion lifting the ball over the Warrenpoint defence where Allen had found space inside the penalty area. However, the striker’s first time volley flew over the crossbar from 12 yards.

The hosts had their first real opportunity of the match a minute before the end of the first half when Mark Hughes crossed from the right to Stephen Murray but the big striker could only volley with his left foot into the sidenetting from ten yards out.The ‘Point had two early chances to go in front in the second half. The first saw Dermot McVeigh screw his header wide of the gaping goal after a Mark Hughes corner was only partially cleared on 50 minutes and then 60 seconds later, Stephen Hughes cracked in a fierce drive from 15 yards that was pushed out for a corner by Elliott Morris.

Two minutes after the hour mark, the visitors had their best opportunity of the second period when substitute Jonathan Smith played the ball wide to Scullion on the left and the winger cut in onto his right foot but his low shot was saved by Shanahan at the second attempt.

Mark Hughes was the next to go close on 69 minutes when his dipping volley with his left foot from just inside the box went just over the bar. There was a moment of controversy four minutes later when Scullion went down in the box under a challenge from Shanahan but rather than give the penalty, Referee Raymond Crangle produced the yellow card and booked the Glens man for simulation.

With 15 minutes remaining, Smith volleyed straight at the Warrenpoint keeper following a cross from the left by Conor McMenamin before Warrenpoint had two chances in as many minutes late on to open the scoring.

Firstly, Daniel Hughes sped through only to be denied by Morris before the keeper made an even better save to deny Mark Hughes from 18 yards on 87 minutes, pushing the ball out for a corner.

Warrenpoint Town: Shanahan, Moan, Boyle, McVeigh, Kieran, Bagnall, M Hughes, McDonald (Clarke 57), S Hughes, D Hughes, Murray (Murray 74)

Subs not used: Smith, McMahon, Donnelly

Glentoran: Morris, Garrett, Kane, Holland, Scullion, Allen, McCaffrey (Smith 36), McAlorum, Addis (O’Hanlon 87), Gordon, McMenamin

Subs not used: McCullough, Gibson, Hogg

Referee: Raymond Crangle (Belfast)