IRN-BRU CHALLENGE CUP: Scott Pittman strikes late for Livingston to stun sorry Crusaders

Crusaders Colin Coates in action with Livingston's Liam Buchannan
Crusaders Colin Coates in action with Livingston's Liam Buchannan

A last gasp strike Scott Pittman broke the hearts of battling Crusaders in Friday night Irn-Bru Challenge Cup fourth round tie at Seaview.

Stephen Baxter’s part-timers came so close of creating a little piece of history by making the quarter final draw, but were undone by a 94th minute winner.

Substitute Josh Mullin shot the Scottish League One side into a second half lead, but big Jordan Owens levelled with only two minutes on the clock.

The game appeared destined for extra-time when Pittman hit the killer blow.

Livingston’s Danny Mullen was almost presented with an opening after only 12 minutes. The striker picked the pocket of Howard Beverland, but goalkeeper Sean O’Neill was out like a flash to save.

Baxter’s boys grew in confidence as the game progressed. Billy Joe Burns’ surging run cut open the visiting defence before finding Andy Mitchell, who drilled in a low drive that Gary Maley did brilliantly to save.

Alert David Cushley whipped in a corner kick that had goalkeeper Maley scampering across his line to save.

Crusaders Jordan Forsythe blasted an effort from distance inches wide before Maley produced the save of the match to deny Michael Gault.

But it was the visitors that struck the decisive blow with 14 minutes left. Mullen danced his way past Gault on the left and his cross was turned in by Mullin, who was only on the pitch 60 seconds.

Crusaders looked to have forced extra time when Owens picked up a Declan Caddell pass before curling home a beauty. But with only seconds remaining Liam Buchanan’s pull back caught the Crues cold and Pittman slotted into the bottom corner.

Crusaders: O’Neill, Burns, Beverland (Gault 46), Coates, Lowry (Forsythe 46), Mitchell, Carvill, Cushley (Heatley 65), Caddell, Owens, Clarke. Unused subs: Soares, Holden, Dougherty, McClean.

Livingston: Maley, Miller, Longridge (Mullin 75), Lithgow, Halkett, Knox (Watt 80), Byrne (Cadden 60), Pittman, Buchanan, Crighton, Mullen.Unused subs: Kelly, Neill, Carrick, Sinclair.

Referee: David Morgan (Wales).