Linfield turn screw in second half to conquer Dungannon

Linfield's Andrew Waterworth celebrates scoring against Dungannon
Linfield's Andrew Waterworth celebrates scoring against Dungannon


Three second half goals gave Linfield victory at Stangmore Park.

After a goalless first period, Aaron Burns’ turn and shot broke the deadlock.

Jimmy Callacher and Andy Waterworth added further goals.

Linfield made two changes to the side which faced Cliftonville.

Player-boss Warren Feeney recalled himself in place of Sammy Morrow while Stephen Lowry replaced Ross Clarke.

Dungannon had only lost one of their last eight games in all competitions and served notice early on that it would not be an easy afternoon for the Blues.

Inside four minutes Dougie Wilson clattered into Jamie Mulgrew, drawing a yellow card from the referee.

The first shot on target came from Swifts teenager Conor Mullen, but his low, left-foot strike was straight at the goalkeeper.

Despite some impressive possession play, it took 38 minutes for Linfield to test Andy Coleman.

Glenn Belezika’s pass was touched on by Burns to Lowry, but his strike was brilliantly tipped away by the goalkeeper.

Waterworth then saw a shot on the turn go over as the first half ended in stalemate.

Having already lost Kris Lowe in the first half, Dungannon were forced into another change four minutes into the second period when Wilson departed.

And they fell behind in the 54th minute. Grant McCann supplied the corner from the right side and Burns finished off at the back post.

Dungannon could have been level when a goalkeeping mistake gave the ball straight to Jamie Douglas, but his effort was wide.

But the Blues continued to threaten and Waterworth headed just off target from a Feeney cross.

They wrapped up the points in the 70th minute from a Callacher header.

He powered home a header from six yards after getting on the end of a terrific McCann cross.

Waterworth added a third late on when he headed home from Quinn’s cross.

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Coleman, Lowe (McCullough, 30), Armstrong (Mitchell, 74), Brennan, Wilson (O’Rourke, 49), Glackin, Harpur, Hutchinson, Hazley, Douglas, Mullen

Subs not used: Fitzpatrick, Liggett

LINFIELD: Ross Glendinning, Belezika, Ward, Callacher, Quinn, Mulgrew (Carvill, 82), Lowry (Clarke, 46), McCann, Burns, Feeney, Waterworth (Morrow, 85)

Subs not used: Reece Glendinning, Tuffey

Referee: Ian McNabb (Newtownabbey)