Nine-man Portadown and Dungannon share spoils at Shamrock Park

Portadown's Mark McAllister'and Swifts' Ryan Harpur 'in action
Portadown's Mark McAllister'and Swifts' Ryan Harpur 'in action


Nine man Portadown were held by Dungannon Swifts on what proved a very costly afternoon for Ronnie McFall’s side.

Aside from dropping two points, they also lost a couple of players in the closing moments.

Robert Garrett and Chris Casement were sent off two minutes from the end to straight red cards.

Both will now miss next weekend’s Irish Cup semi-final with Ballymena.

Earlier Casement had scored a stylish equaliser to rescue a point for the below-par Ports, following Gary Liggett’s first half opener.

The home side could have been ahead inside two minutes.

Sean Mackle’s cross was flicked on for Gary Twigg but, with the goal seemingly at his mercy, he fired straight at the goalkeeper.

At the other end a Terry Fitzpatrick header was stopped on the line.

David Miskelly then produced a fine save to tip Fitzpatrick’s low drive away, with Andrew Burns’ effort on the rebound blocked.

Dungannon were the better side in the opening stages and took the lead in the 30th minute.

A corner from Ryan Harpur picked out Liggett, and the ex-Ports forward headed home from close range.

Portadown offered little in the first half, prompting Ronnie McFall to introduce Mark McAllister at the break.

The striker came on in place of Tim Mouncey, who had taken a knock towards the end of the half.

Portadown threatened in the 57th minute when Peter McMahon’s strike was deflected over.

From the resulting corner Casement found Gary Breen, who made good contact but directed his header against the stanchion.

However, the Ports levelled in the 63rd minute in stunning fashion.

A cross from the left wasn’t cut out and reached Casement, who took it first time, directing a terrific right-footed effort past Rouse.

Dungannon could have retaken the lead in the 73rd minute.

Good play from Liggett created a chance for Jamie Douglas, but he fired over from close range as the game ended in stalemate.

The red mist descended in the final moments as Garrett was sent off, followed moments later by Casement.

PORTADOWN: Miskelly, Casement, Redman, Breen, Oman, McMahon, Gault, Garrett, Mouncey (McAllister, 46), Mackle, Twigg

Subs not used: Brennan, Ramsey, McElroy, Richardson

DUNGANNON SWIFTS: Rouse, Burns, Brennan, Wilson, O’Rourke, Hazley (McCullough, 24), Harpur, Fitzpatrick, Glackin, Douglas (S Lavery, 84), Liggett

Subs not used: Armstrong, Mitchell, Sanusi

Referee: Keith Kennedy (Lisburn)