Portstewart in Irish Cup Sixth Round for first time in history

Portstewart striker Johnny Stewart celebrates his second goal against Dundela
Portstewart striker Johnny Stewart celebrates his second goal against Dundela


Johnny Stewart’s brace helped Portstewart book a place in the sixth round of the Irish Cup for the first time in the Club’s history.

Going into the tie the home side were the bookies favourites against Championship One side Dundela.

In strong winds it took both sides time to settle into the game.

Dundela’s Aaron Keenan opened the scoring after just ten minutes.

However straight from the restart a good run by Donnell set up forward Johnny Stewart who levelled matters.

Vauls, who made his debut for Portstewart in the tie, was handed an early booking for a rash challenge, Matthew Ferguson was unlucky with the resulting free kick.

Stewart hit the net again, making it 2-1 in the 18th minute, after Doherty danced through the Dundela defence.

Dundela piled on the pressure and had efforts from Dillon and Keenan.

Gibson handed the home team a free kick when he was carded for a challenge on Doherty, but Peden’s effort was saved.

The closing stages of the first half saw ferocious weather conditions, both teams battled against strong winds, and it was the visitors who won the battle against the weather, when Jackson made it 2-2 at the break.

In the second half Keenan and Gibson combined to put Jackson in on goal, however he couldn’t beat Madison in the Ports goal.

A challenge in the eighth minute saw Ferguson being handed a straight red for a challenge on Portstewart’s midfielder Robert Donnell.

Portstewart took the lead again fourteen minutes after the restart. A challenge on Doherty saw Peden hit home straight from the free kick from 20 yards out.

Jackson shot wide at the other end before Dundela were reduced to nine men when Gibson was given a second yellow for a harsh tackle on Doherty.

Doherty, Vauls and Forgrave worked hard in midfield providing Turner with an opportunity on the half hour mark, but he couldn’t capitalise.

As Portstewart pushed forward they had other efforts from Peden and Stewart.

The homeside were then reduced to ten men when Vauls was given a second yellow for a challenge on substitute Simms.

Dundela had a penalty appeal dismissed after Collins was upended in the box. Credit to Dundela who battled until the end, Madison pulled off two fine saves from Jones to keep his side in front.

Portstewart substitute McCullough was carded for rash challenge, he remonstrated with the referee and found himself getting a second yellow ensuring both teams ended the tie with nine men.

PORTSTEWART: Madison, Ramsey, Cmapbell, Neill, Peden, Vauls, Donnell, Forgrave, Turner, Stewart, Doherty

Subs: McNamee, McClements, McAllister, McCullough, Murray

DUNDELA: Cairns, Thompson, Collins, Keenan, Gibson, Gourney, Jackson, Ferguson, Dillon, McClelland, Clarke

Subs: Halliday, Jones, Simms, Herron, McCain