Kenny Miller strike enough as Rangers hold firm

Rangers' Kenny Miller scoredf the decisive goal.
Rangers' Kenny Miller scoredf the decisive goal.

Kenny Miller grabbed his 100th Rangers goal as Mark Warburton’s men ground out a welcome 1-0 victory over Inverness in the Highlands.

The Ibrox side were looking to build some momentum ahead of next weekend’s Betfred Cup semi-final showdown with Celtic.

And Miller’s landmark strike ensured they will head into the Hampden clash on the back of three points, which sees them move up to third for one day at least.

Rangers have hardly appeared watertight this season, with much of their defensive uncertainty stemming from the fact they have rarely enjoyed the luxury of a settled back-line.

But that did not stop Warburton from tinkering again as he brought Rob Kiernan and Clint Hill in for Philippe Senderos and the injured Danny Wilson.

There was more confusion inside the Gers box just three minutes in as Losana Doumbouya was left to get on the end Greg Tansey’s free-kick just 10 yards out before heading over.

As his side quickly established a foot hold, Martyn Waghorn drove into box but could not muster the power to beat Owain Fon Williams.

The striker put more into his next effort as he pulled the trigger from 30 yards out. His strike failed to dip in time to trouble the Caley Thistle keeper.

But the Light Blues did grab a deserved breakthrough after 22 minutes. Wallace’s pace took him into space down left and his cross was met by a sumptuous from Miller as he slammed his volley home.

Waghorn thought he had just about added a second soon after when he redirected a Hill header from Niko Kranjcar’s corner back at goal. Replays, though, proved Fon William had produced a brilliant reflex save before the ball crossed the line.

The Highlanders stopper was again well placed to keep out Miller just after the break, while Kranjcar - looking fitter with every passing week - could not produce a finish to match his driving surge from halfway.

However, the intensity which had driven the Glasgow side’s display dropped as the second half wore on but Rangers managed to cling on for the points.