Ray Sanderson at Ferney Park

Shane McCabe of Ballinamallard and Ciaran Caldwell of Glentoran
Shane McCabe of Ballinamallard and Ciaran Caldwell of Glentoran


Three second half goals gave Glentoran a valuable three points against Ballinamallard this afternoon.

The Oval side took the lead on 23 minutes when Curtis Allan broke on the left to shoot goalward, but McCusker parried the ball into the path of Francis McCaffrey to stab home from close range.

Ballinamallard though levelled 10 minutes later when McCartney’s cross from the left was beautifully cushioned by Steve Feeney. The ball was played into the path of the supporting Adam Lecky to shoot home past keeper Morris.

Glentoran got off to a flier in the second half when they scored after just nine minutes. This time a great move down the left saw the ball whipped in and Jonathon Smith was on hand at the near post to touch home.

Ballinamallard responded again 10 minutes later. Referee Crangle awarded a free kick on the 18 yard line. Beacom’s effort came back off the wall but when McCartney struck the rebound the ball was adjudged to have struck a Glentoran player inside the penalty box and a spotkick was awarded.

McCartney delivered into the top corner to level for the second time.

But on 72 minutes the Glens edged in front again. This time a good move down the right flank saw the ball squarred to McCaffrey 20 yards out. A fierce low drive fizzed into the bottom corner even though keeper McCusker got a hand to it.

Glentoran sealed the points on 83 minues when Smith crossed from the right and dangerman Curtis Allen slid in to stab the ball home.

Glentoran manager Alan Kernoghan said “I felt we deserved the three points considering we had lots of possession in the first half. I felt we should have been further ahead at the half time break, but we showed real determination and character in the second half.”

Ballinamallard manager Whitey Anderson was disappointed his boys didn’t take something from the game after fighting to get back to 2-2.

He felt at that stage his players could have pushed on a won the three points.

“We’re working hard but made some poor decision on the pitch today,” he said.

Ballinamallard United: McCusker, McMenamin, McLaughlin, Feeney (Campbell 74), McCabe, Lafferty (Courtney 84), Beacom, Lecky, McCrudden (Currie 80), Friars

Subs: McKenna, Currie, Crilly, Campbell, Courtney

Glentoran: Morris, Holland,, McCullough, Magee, Addis, Allen, Smith, mcCaffrey, McAlorum, Caldwell (Gordon 45), Henderson

Subs: Hogg, Gordon, Hamill, O’Hanlon, Cafolla

Referee: Raymond Crangle