Titanic Cup upset as Welders dump out holders Glenavon

H&W Welders  David Rainey celebrates opening the scoring against    Glenavon
H&W Welders David Rainey celebrates opening the scoring against Glenavon


The Irish Cup holders have been sunk by Harland and Wolff Welders in a cup upset of Titanic proportions!

Glenavon had two early chances to go in front when Kyle Neill’s cross-come-shot was saved by Welders goalkeeper Michael Dougherty.

Then Conor Dillon had a glorious opportunity to score as a long thow-in from Gareth McKeown was headed back into the six yard box by Declan O’Brien towards the defender, but somehow he scooped his shot over.

And they were punished for their misses by one of their old boys, David Rainey. T

he Championship One player of the month headed home when he connected with a cross from the right.

That was to be their only real opportunity of the first half as Glenavon dominated play, but were wasteful with their opportunities and Dougherty’s gloves weren’t warmed inside the first 45 minutes.

O’Brien sidefooted over from another long throw, this time taken by Simon Kelly, before Dillon headed wide.

Mark Patton, who came on for the injured Kyle Neill, had a volley blocked and McKeown had a header deflected onto the post from a Kevin Braniff corner.

The Welders, who to their credit were playing some good counter attacking football while the cup holders threw everything at them, had a shout for a penalty when the ball bounced up and hit McKeown, according to the hosts, on the hand but referee Keith Kennedy thought otherwise.

The hosts could have added a second after the restart, McClellan beating the offside trap to get onto a long ball and shoot. James McGrath saved and the striker put the rebound wide.

Then Glenavon started to pepper the Welders’ goal as Ciaran Martyn had an effort on the edge of the box saved, then Dougherty gathered up an O’Brien header.

Patton pulled a good save from Dougherty while at the other end Mark Magennis tried a cheeky lob over McKeown but his effort had too much height on it.

The cup holders’ surprise exit was confirmed as the Welders broke while an injured Dillon lay injured in the centre circle. Rainey carried it forward, spread it to Maginness and he laid the ball off for Scott Davidson to tap in.

Dillon went off, leaving Glenavon down to 10, and despite numerous chances to get back into the game it was the East Belfast men who progressed to the quarter finals.

HW Welders: Dougherty, Dickson, W. Armstrong, Morris, McMurray, Simpson, Deans, Davidson, Magennis, McClellan, Rainey. Subs: Devine, Beattie, M. Armstrong, Shields.

GOALS: Rainey 11, Davidson 74

BOOKINGS: Simpson 66, Rainey 68, Deans 80

Glenavon: McGrath, McKeown, Neill, Kelly, Dillon, Caldwell, O’Brien, Braniff, McCabe, Martyn, Singleton. Subs: Murphy, Bradley (Caldwell 65), Patton (Neill 25), McGrory, Marshall (Kelly 65).

BOOKINGS:McCabe 73, Braniff 76, Singleton 80

Referee: Keith Kennedy (Lisburn)