ALL IRELAND HOCKEY: Ulster Elks in rampant scoring form against Cork visitors

Four goal Megan Frazer is congratulated by Rebecca Barry
Four goal Megan Frazer is congratulated by Rebecca Barry

Emer Lucey’s last ditch goal ensured Railway Union nicked the spoils from a Dublin derby with UCD 2-1 and stay in a three-way share of top spot after three rounds of the EY Hockey League with Ulster Elks and Hermes.

Her corner ricocheted in via a foot and a defensive body to break the students’ hearts after a blood and thunder tie between two of the leading lights of recent years.

Earlier on, Kate Dillon had given Railway the lead only for Kate Lloyd – a former Unionite – to break through a series of tackles to fire home the equaliser. Lucey though settled matters at the death, inflicting a second buzzer defeat on UCD from three outings.

Hermes left it only slightly earlier as Nikki Evans popped up with a cracking winner against reigning IHL champions Pegasus in a 1-0 result. She scored with five minutes to go, finishing off a fine move that flowed from midfield via Chloe Watkins, Ellen Curran and Anna O’Flanagan.

Ulster Elks were comprehensive 8-0 winners over UCC in Jordanstown with Irish captain Megan Frazer netting four times. She started the rout just a couple of minutes in and her side were 3-0 up by the eighth minute, ending the tie as a contest.

The three leaders have now built a five-point wedge over the rest of the pack.

Ards recorded their first win of the campaign with a comfortable 6-0 win over Greenfields who have yet to score in three outings. Chloe Brown set the tone with two goals as they also built a three goal lead in jig-time, killing the game off by the 12th minute.

Cork Harlequins nicked a 3-2 win over Pembroke in Dublin with the influential Cliodhna Sargent coming back from injury to great effect. She created two goals including the crucial third for Yvonne O’Byrne.

Orlagh Cotter and Olivia Roycroft had made it 2-0 for Quins before Jilly Collins got one back for Pembroke. O’Byrne’s goal, though, built a 3-1 lead which stayed intact until Maebh Horan’s late goal.

The league now goes into a break until November 7th when round four will be played.