HOCKEY: Pegsus finally off the mark in EY Hockey League

Suzanne Ferris of Pegasus and Greenfields' Liz Tighe in action.
Suzanne Ferris of Pegasus and Greenfields' Liz Tighe in action.

Pegasus got their first win of the campaign when they saw off bottom side Greenfields 4-0 in the EY Hockey League.

The Ulster side went 2-0 ahead inside the first quarter and kept the Galway outfit at arm’s length from there on.

Indeed, the signs were there early on as Pegasus won a couple of corners before taking an eighth minute lead. Hannah Grieve worked the ball along the back line to find Suzanne Ferris unmarked at the back post to score.

Four minutes later, Pegasus made good use of the slow pitch, drenched in heavy rain, when Ferris caught up with a ball in the corner and found Ruth Maguire free.

Maguire, in turn, picked out the unmarked Pamela Glass at the top of the circle and she fired past the goalkeeper.

It stayed that way until the third quarter when Pegasus capitalised on sustained pressure. Taite Doherty got the third from close range before Vanessa Surgeoner completed the win when she struck early on the spin to unleash a shot into the bottom corner for 4-0.

The Ulster Elks won their fourth match from five outings to stay within two points of leaders Hermes with a composed 2-0 win over Ards in a full-blooded all-Ulster derby, played under torrential rain throughout.

The hosts dominated possession initially, winning a couple of penalty corners in the early exchanges before Ards, via good work from Emma Reid, did likewise at the far end but no goals accrued.

Jessica McMaster broke the deadlock three minutes before half-time when Shirley McCay’s ball into the circle located the 18-year-old who took a touch before planting the ball into the top of the goal.

The Elks pushed on in the second half with McCay and Gemma Frazer powering their efforts.

After a trio of corners went unconverted, Megan Frazer extended the advantage in the 42nd minute from a well-worked set-piece that the Irish captain’s backhand shot found the net.

Elks continued to press for more goals with Ards counter-attacking when possible but no further goals were scored.

The hosts remain second while Ards drop to seventh place after five rounds of matches.

Hermes maintained their two-point lead at the top of the women’s EY Hockey League with a dramatic 3-2 win over title rivals Railway Union in a thrilling tussle at Park Avenue.

Cork Harlequins continued their winning streak, making it three in-a-row with Olivia Roycroft’s drag-flick and a smart turn and shot from Aoibhinn Martin earning a 2-0 win over local rivals UCC at a rain-soaked Farmer’s Cross. For Roycroft, it builds her scoring streak to four goals in three games.

UCD, meanwhile, move into the top half of the table for the first time thanks to their 5-2 win over Pembroke.

Katie Mullan and Aisling Naughton both scored in their first quarter for a dream start before former UCD player Caroline Hill gave Pembroke a lifeline early in the second half.

But further Mullan and Naughton goals, allied to one from Elaine Carey, saw the Belfielders race clear.